My dear friends, it’s time to cozy up with a warm and nourishing bowl of soup. And not just any soup, but my creamy vegan cream of spinach soup that’s not only healthy but also packed with flavor. As a vegan chef, I have always strived to create recipes that are not only good for your taste buds but also for your overall well-being.
This vegan spinach soup is proof that eating plant-based doesn’t have to be boring or restrictive. Fresh spinach, zucchini, russet potatoes, and aromatic herbs give this creamy vegan spinach soup its vibrant green color and delicious taste. The addition of raw cashews and coconut milk adds a luscious and silky texture. Trust me; this vegan cream spinach soup is the ultimate comfort food that will keep you warm and satisfied on chilly days.
With this recipe, you won’t even miss the non-vegan version of cream of spinach soup. So let’s get started on whipping up this delicious dish in the comfort of your own kitchen. Get ready for a mouth-watering treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture a creamy vegan spinach soup, seasoned to perfection with fresh lemon juice and sea salt, topped with zesty scallions and chopped parsley. The perfect meal for a cozy evening in, a lunch with friends or just when you’re craving something to nourish your soul.
Now imagine that the creamy texture of this soup is achieved without any heavy cream or dairy – that’s right, it’s completely vegan. This recipe uses raw cashews and roasted garlic to create a luscious, velvety consistency that will leave you wanting more.
Not only is this soup incredibly delicious, but it’s also loaded with nutrients from the fresh spinach and other whole food ingredients. You’ll get a boost of iron, vitamin C, antioxidants and more with every spoonful.
Best of all, this recipe is versatile – you can make substitutions based on ingredients you have on hand or personal preferences. Plus, it’s great for meal prep and can be stored in the freezer for an easy weeknight dinner option.
Whether you’re vegan or not, this creamy vegan spinach soup recipe is sure to wow your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied. Give it a try and see for yourself why it’s one of the best vegan soups out there!
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you will need to make this creamy vegan spinach soup recipe. Get ready to gather these fresh, wholesome ingredients at your local grocery shop or farmer’s market:
Olive oil (1-2 tablespoons): I prefer using extra-virgin olive oil for its distinct flavor and health benefits.
Garlic (2-4 cloves): Roasted garlic is an excellent substitute if you want to add a more delicate flavor.
Onion (1 medium): Finely chopped red or yellow onion add sweetness and depth of flavor to the soup.
Russet potato (1-2 medium): Peeled and diced potatoes create the creamy base of the soup.
Zucchini (1 medium): Chopped zucchini is another ingredient that helps create a creamy texture for the soup without adding dairy.
Celery (1-2 stalks): Celery adds a slight herbaceous taste and aroma to the soup.
Vegetable broth (4 cups): Use low-sodium vegetable broth to season the soup with sea salt perfectly.
Raw cashews (1 cup): Serves as a heavy cream substitute and adds protein and healthy fats.
Fresh spinach (8 ounces/4 cups chopped): If using frozen spinach, thaw them first before blending them into your soup.
Green onions/scallions (1/4 cup chopped): I prefer using green onions, but you can also use shallots or leeks as an alternative for another layer of flavor.
Flat leaf parsley (1/4 cup chopped): Parsley gives freshness and brightness to the otherwise savory taste of this soup.
Additional ingredients that we will be needing are freshly squeezed lemon juice, roasted garlic, sea salt, and black pepper.
The Recipe How-To
Now it’s time for the fun part – putting it all together! Here are the steps to make a vegan cream of spinach soup that will have your taste buds singing.
- 2 cups of chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- ¼ cup of raw cashews
- Juice from half a lemon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced potato and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
- Add the chopped spinach to the pot and stir until it’s wilted.
- Using a ladle, transfer about half of the soup to a blender along with the raw cashews and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the remaining soup and stir until well combined.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot topped with additional chopped fresh spinach.
This creamy vegan spinach soup can also be made with frozen spinach or even broccoli, whatever’s in your fridge! Simply substitute out some or all of the fresh spinach called for in this recipe with an equal amount of your frozen veggies of choice (making sure they’re cooked through if using raw) and blend until creamy as noted above.
Enjoy this vegan cream of spinach soup on its own or serve as a starter to impress at dinner parties – this palak soup will fawn everyone over! Don’t forget to serve it with some vegan bread for dipping.
Substitutions and Variations
As a vegan chef, I understand that sometimes finding specific vegan ingredients for recipes can be difficult or expensive. That’s why I always like to offer substitutions and variations to make things easier and more accessible.
For this creamy vegan spinach soup recipe, there are quite a few substitutes and variations you can incorporate based on your taste and availability of ingredients. Some of the key ingredients that you can substitute include:
– Raw Cashews: If you are allergic to nuts or don’t have raw cashews available, you can substitute them with sunflower seeds or blanched almonds. This will still give your soup a creamy texture.
– Vegetable Broth: If you don’t have vegetable broth available, you can use water instead. However, it might affect the flavor of the soup.
– Spinach: While fresh spinach is recommended for this recipe, you can also use frozen spinach as a substitute. It’s important to thaw it beforehand and squeeze out any excess water before adding it to the soup.
– Red Onion: If red onions are not your favorite, you can switch them for yellow onions or even shallots.
– Zucchini: If zucchini is not your thing, you could try substituting it with baby spinach, broccoli or cauliflower.
In terms of variations, there are a handful of options that you could try to customize this recipe according to your preference:
– Spice it Up: Add some heat to the soup by incorporating cumin powder, curry powder or red pepper flakes while sautéing the vegetables.
– Creamy Potato Soup: To make creamy potato and spinach soup, add 2 peeled and cubed russet potatoes before blending the soup mixture.
– Replace Cashew Cream with Coconut Milk: If you don’t have raw cashews but really want a creamier texture for your soup, use coconut milk instead.
No matter which substitution or variation you choose, remember to taste and adjust accordingly. If it’s too thick add more broth or if it’s too thin blend in more cashew cream or coconut milk. Play around with the ingredients until it satisfies your taste buds. Enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
This vegan cream of spinach soup recipe pairs well with crusty bread or a side salad. The creamy spinach flavor goes well with some sourdough bread or grilled cheese sandwiches. You can also add some crispy croutons on top of the soup to give it some crunchiness.
To add some freshness to the dish, serve it with a simple side salad that includes fresh greens like arugula or kale, crunchy vegetables like carrots or cucumbers, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing. The combination of the warm soup and cold crunchy salad creates a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
For those who prefer something heartier, this vegan spinach soup also pairs well with other vegan dishes such as roasted vegetables or baked sweet potatoes. The warmth and creaminess from the soup complement the roasted flavors from the vegetables, while the baked sweet potato serves as an excellent source of starchy goodness.
If you’re looking for a vegan pairing that’s a bit more indulgent, consider serving this creamy spinach soup with a glass of full-bodied red wine. The rich flavors from the wine perfectly balance out the creaminess from the soup, creating an extravagant dining experience.
Overall, this vegan cream of spinach soup is versatile enough to be served with many different dishes and beverages. So go ahead and experiment with various pairings until you find your perfect combination.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this vegan cream of spinach soup recipe is how well it stores and reheats. Whether you’re meal prepping for the week ahead or just saving leftovers for another day, you won’t be disappointed with how easy it is to store and then reheat this soup.
To make this soup in advance, follow the recipe as directed but don’t add the vegan cream until you’re ready to serve. The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When it comes time to reheat, you have a few options depending on your preferences. One option is to simply heat up the soup in a saucepan over medium heat until it’s warmed through. Another option is to microwave individual servings, stirring every 30 seconds until heated through.
If you choose to freeze this soup, keep in mind that the texture may be slightly affected once it’s been thawed and reheated. However, it still maintains that delicious spinach flavor and creamy texture.
Overall, this vegan cream of spinach soup recipe is an excellent choice for those who want a hearty and delicious meal that can be made ahead of time and enjoyed later on. You’ll love its versatility in terms of storage and reheating options!
Tips for Perfect Results
Making vegan cream of spinach soup is a flavorful way to incorporate veggies into your diet. However, it can be challenging to get the dish right when you’re making it for the first time. I have tested this recipe multiple times and learned some tips that will help you perfect your vegan cream of spinach soup.
The two essential steps in this recipe are blending and seasoning. To make sure your soup is smooth and silky, blend it for around 60 seconds or until there are no visible chunks left. If the soup is not blended enough, you’ll have chunks of veggies causing an uneven texture.
Another important tip is to season your soup with salt and lemon juice according to your preference. Remember that salt enhances the other flavors in your soup, while lemon juice adds acidity, making the soup more vibrant in flavor. However, don’t overdo it with seasoning as both elements can quickly overpower the other ingredients.
Using fresh ingredients for this vegan spinach soup recipe is vital in securing an authentic flavor profile. Fresh produces are abundantly available at grocery stores or local markets. Make this soup even more flavorful by using organic produce when possible.
Lastly, don’t shy away from experimenting with the ingredients while keeping the main components intact. You can substitute potatoes with sweet potatoes to get a slightly sweeter taste, add some cumin to get earthy undertones or add coconut milk instead of using raw cashew cream.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make a velvety and mouth-watering vegan cream of spinach soup. Enjoy savoring each spoonful of your delicious homemade soup!
This creamy vegan spinach soup recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, whether or not you follow a vegan diet. With wholesome and nourishing ingredients such as raw cashews and fresh spinach, the decadent taste and silky smooth texture offer a meal that’s satisfyingly filling whilst being kind on your body.
Whether you’re needing to prepare for your next family gathering, impress guests at your dinner party, or want to treat yourself and a loved one to a cozy night in, this recipe is perfect for all occasions. Remember that simple ingredient substitutions can quickly turn this into its own unique flavor sensation.
Why not try swapping out spinach for kale, zucchini for butternut squash, or adding in some extra cumin or paprika for an extra kick of warmth?
Make sure you stick to recommended portion sizes to ensure maximum flavor without overeating. Additionally, some of these variations can make the soup even better for different dietary requirements or preferences.
With the creaminess of vegan cream and the freshness of spinach, this soup takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. By following the instructions carefully and keeping in mind particular tips like avoiding too much water, blending well until it’s thick and using good quality ingredients like extra virgin olive oil or vegetable broth, you’ll have an executed dish before you know it.
So why not give it a try today? With endless variations and impressive taste sensations on offer, this warm comforting soup is sure to suit any craving. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Vegan Cream of Spinach Soup Recipe
- 2 cups raw organic fresh spinach
- 1 cup organic zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup chopped red onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/4 cup scallions (about 6) or 1/4 cup green onion (about 6)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful)
- 1/4 cup celery (1 large stalk)
- 4 cups strong vegetable broth
- 1 roasted garlic, bulb
- 1/4-1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice, to taste
- celtic sea salt
- Place the garlic whole in the oven on about 400 for about 30 minutes until soft and roasted.
- In a saucepan saute onions and scallions with a pinch of celtic sea salt to bring out the sweetness until translucent.
- Add in spinach, celery, zucchini and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in stock and squeeze in roasted garlic pulp and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the veggies are cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly and then puree in the blender with the cashews and
- return to the stove to warm and serve.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and a grain ball. YUM!
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.