Welcome to the world of flavor! Are you ready to indulge in a soup bursting with spices and bold flavors? If so, be prepared to experience the ultimate vegan comfort food – Buffalo “chicken” soup. This recipe is perfect for anyone looking for high-quality comfort food without sacrificing ethics or health benefits.
As a vegan chef, I have experimented with numerous recipes, but this one has truly won my heart. Believe me when I say that this spicy and savory dish tastes almost identical to the classic buffalo chicken soup, but without any animal products. This also makes it suitable for our vegetarian friends or those who want to avoid dairy products, gluten, and other common allergens.
In fact, amateurs and professionals of all ages can prepare this recipe effortlessly in less than 30 minutes. Trust me; you’ll love how easy, delicious, and healthy this recipe is! So let’s jump right into it and get cooking with the best Buffalo “chicken” soup that you’ve ever had.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a soup that is both comforting and spicy? Look no further than this Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup Recipe! Whether you are a vegan or just trying to reduce your meat intake, this soup is the perfect option for you.
Firstly, this soup uses vegetarian chicken pieces, making it both gluten-free and dairy-free. Instead of using real chicken broth, this recipe calls for low-sodium chicken broth, so it’s also lower in sodium. Additionally, we’ve added plenty of vegetables like celery and white onion to pack in more nutrients while keeping it filling.
But what sets this soup apart is the use of buffalo sauce – that tangy and spicy sauce used in many chicken dishes. We’ve chosen to use vegan buffalo sauce, made with hot sauce and olive oil, giving you all of the flavor without any of the guilt. And with options to add nutritional yeast for that “cheesy” flavor, or silken tofu for some extra creaminess, the possibilities are truly endless.
This recipe is not only satisfying but can be tailored to your tastes as well. Want to make it even spicier? Add some garlic powder or ranch seasoning. Looking for a milder version? Reduce the amount of buffalo sauce used. With so many variations possible, it’s impossible to get bored with this recipe.
So whether you’re eating a bowl after a long day at work or serving it up to guests at your next party, we guarantee that everyone will love this Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup Recipe.
Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients you’ll need for this vegan buffalo “chicken” soup recipe. Don’t worry, everything is vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free!
- Vegetarian Chicken Pieces: These are a great protein substitute that will give you the desired texture for this soup.
- Buffalo Sauce: This is where the spicy flavor comes from. There are many brands of vegan buffalo sauces available at your local grocery store.
- Chicken Broth: This ingredient gives the soup its base, with a savory and rich broth.
- Silken Tofu: It is used as a thickener in this recipe, and adds a creamy texture to the broth.
- Nutritional Yeast: This ingredient gives the soup a “cheesy” flavor which works perfectly with buffalo sauce.
- Garlic Powder: This adds depth and flavor to the soup, while also making your kitchen smell amazing!
- Carrots and Celery: These classic soup ingredients add nutrition and some extra hearty flavors to the dish.
- White Onion: It provides a subtle sweetness that balances out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
- Olive Oil: We need this to sauté our veggies and vegetarian chicken pieces before adding them into the broth.
- Ranch Seasoning Mix: This adds an extra layer of sweet and tangy flavors, but feel free to leave it out or substitute it with other dried herbs of your choice.
You can definitely find these ingredients in most supermarkets around you, without hassle. However, don’t hesitate to reach out to your local farmer’s market or vegan grocery store to look for those hard-to-find vegan blue cheese or vegan sour cream for optional toppings. Let’s get cooking!
The Recipe How-To
Now, the fun part! Let’s start cooking our delicious Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup recipe.
To start with, you need to prepare all the ingredients: 1½ cups of vegetarian chicken pieces, 4 stalks of sliced celery, 1 large diced white onion, 3 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth), 2 cups of boiling water, ½ cup of buffalo sauce, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp of ranch seasoning, 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste.
In a pot over medium heat, sauté celery and onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes until they become tender.
Add in the vegetarian chicken pieces and garlic powder then cook for another minute.
Add your low-sodium chicken broth and boiling water into the pot then mix everything together.
Pour in the buffalo sauce into the pot then stir until well combined.
Add in ranch seasoning and nutritional yeast then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to low then simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
After simmering, let it cool for a few minutes before pouring them into a blender or food processor with silken tofu (for creaminess) and blend until smooth.
Tips for Perfect Results
When pouring your soup mixture into the blender or processor, make sure not to overfill it to avoid accidents. It is best to blend in small batches so that you can achieve a smooth consistency without any lumps or unevenness.
Once your soup is blended, pour it back into the pot and reheat if needed. You can add toppings such as chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, or vegan sour cream on top. Additionally, you can serve this soup with blue cheese crumbles (for non-vegans) and crusty bread on the side.
Have fun making this delicious Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
This Vegan Buffalo “Chicken” Soup Recipe is perfect for those who want to satisfy their cravings for buffalo chicken without compromising on their vegan diet. This recipe can be customized according to your taste and dietary preference. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try out:
– Vegetarian chicken pieces: If you’re not a fan of vegetarian chicken pieces, you can use tempeh or tofu instead. You can marinate the tempeh/tofu in buffalo sauce before adding it to the soup.
– Nutritional yeast: This ingredient adds a cheesy flavor to the soup. If you’re allergic to nutritional yeast or don’t have it on hand, you can omit it.
– Silken tofu: For a creamier texture, you can use cashew cream or coconut cream instead of silken tofu.
– Buffalo cauliflower: If you’re looking for a low-carb option, you can replace the vegetarian chicken pieces with roasted buffalo cauliflower florets.
– Ranch seasoning: Instead of using pre-made ranch seasoning, you can make your own by mixing together dried herbs like parsley, dill, and chives with garlic powder and onion powder.
– Optional toppings: You can serve this soup with a dollop of vegan sour cream, chives, or crumbled vegetarian blue cheese.
By experimenting with different substitutions and variations, you can create your own unique version of this delicious Vegan Buffalo “Chicken” Soup Recipe. Don’t be afraid to get creative and have fun in the kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
This vegan Buffalo “chicken” soup recipe is an easy and flavorful dish that will be a total hit at any meal. Whether as a cozy dinner for one, or as part of a feast for friends and family, this soup is sure to satisfy.
To serve this delicious soup, I recommend garnishing it with some fresh celery sticks and splashing a little additional buffalo sauce on top for that extra kick of flavor. If you are feeling especially creative, try adding some crumbled vegetarian blue cheese or vegan sour cream for an added touch of creaminess.
This soup pairs well with a light salad or some crusty bread on the side to help soak up all of the rich flavors in the bowl. Alternatively, if you’re looking to upgrade your meal even further, try pairing it with my homemade vegan garlic bread recipe. The combination of garlic-infused bread and bold buffalo flavors found in this soup is truly heavenly.
If you are serving this soup as part of a larger meal or buffet-style spread, consider offering guests some additional toppings such as diced carrots or even shredded vegan chicken pieces to add a little extra protein to their bowls.
No matter how you choose to serve it up, this vegan Buffalo “chicken” soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone feeling satisfied and content at the end of the meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, let’s talk about make-ahead, storing and reheating tips for this vegan buffalo chicken soup recipe. This soup tastes amazing when served immediately after cooking, but it is also a great candidate for meal prep.
You can easily make this soup ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer for later use. To store in the fridge, allow the buffalo chicken soup to cool completely at room temperature before placing it in an airtight container. The soup should be consumed within two to three days.
If you would like to store the soup for longer than two to three days, put the cooled soup into an airtight container and place it in the freezer where it will keep for up to two months. Before serving reheated buffalo chicken soup, just remember to thaw it out completely.
To reheat your refrigerated or frozen buffalo chicken soup on the stove top, pour it into a saucepan along with 1/4 cup of water or broth per cup of soup. Slowly heat it over medium-low heat until warmed through. Be sure not to boil as this can break down some of the flavors in the soup.
If reheating in a microwave, transfer the desired amount of soup into a microwave-safe dish and heat it on high for one minute per cup of soup.
Now that you know how easy it is to make-ahead and store your vegan buffalo chicken soup, why not whip up an extra batch and always have a warm meal waiting for you!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a vegan chef, I have experimented with various soup recipes and found ways to perfect them. Here are some tips that will help you get the best results for the Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup Recipe:
1. Use nutritional yeast to give the soup a cheesy flavor. This plant-based ingredient is packed with vitamins and minerals and adds a nutty, cheesy taste to your dish.
2. Silken tofu is an excellent substitute for cream cheese or heavy cream. Puree it in a blender until smooth, and add it to the soup instead of dairy products.
3. Add buffalo sauce gradually to achieve your desired level of spiciness. Start by adding a little bit at a time, tasting as you go along until you find the perfect level of heat.
4. If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, use vegetarian chicken pieces made from soy or other plant-based protein sources instead of regular chicken.
5. To make the soup low-carb, leave out the potatoes and use cauliflower instead. Chopped into small pieces, it’ll provide a satisfying texture that pairs well with buffalo sauce.
6. When sautéing onions and celery, cook until they are softened but not browned. This will give the soup a milder flavor without overpowering the buffalo taste.
7. Use homemade vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken broth when making this recipe to keep the sodium level low and avoid adding additional salt.
8. Serve with vegan sour cream, Vegetarian blue cheese crumbles, or Ranch seasoning for extra creaminess and flavor.
These tips will guide you towards making an excellent Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup that is healthy, flavorful, and caters to specific dietary needs like gluten-free or dairy-free eating habits.
In conclusion, this vegan buffalo “chicken” soup recipe is sure to please your taste buds and satisfy your hunger. With a spicy kick from the buffalo sauce and a creamy texture from the silken tofu, this soup is perfect for chilly nights or game day gatherings. It’s also versatile enough to fit any dietary restrictions, being both vegetarian and dairy-free, as well as gluten-free with proper ingredient choices. Don’t forget to have some vegan sour cream and blue cheese on hand to take it to the next level!
So, whether you’re a fan of traditional chicken soup recipes or you love buffalo chicken dip, this soup is a must-try twist on classic comfort food. You can enjoy it by itself or pair it with some bread or crackers for added crunch. Plus, making it in advance and reheating it makes meal prep a breeze.
So what are you waiting for? Jump into this recipe and discover why so many people love buffalo chicken in all its forms!
Vegan Buffalo “chicken” Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 vegetarian chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) boxes silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetarian chicken pieces (I used Quorn, which does have egg whites, so it's not totally vegan)
- 8 tablespoons hot sauce (or more)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti)
- 8 ounces vegetarian blue cheese (Sunergia Soy Foods makes a good one) (optional)
- Melt margarine in a large pot.
- Sautee celery until slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, mix bouillon cubes with hot water. Pour into food processor or blender. Add tofu and nutritional yeast. Puree until smooth. If you use a blender or a small food processor, you may have to do this in two batches. Pour mixture into pot.
- Add vegetarian chicken cubes, hot sauce, and garlic powder. Heat over medium, until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sour cream substitute. Heat until warmed through. Do not boil.
- Serve with extra hot sauce, if desired, soy bleu cheese, and crackers. It makes a lovely meal with a side salad and a baked potato.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.