Welcome to the world of vegan almond biscotti! I’ve always been a fan of biscotti, but it wasn’t until I went vegan that I discovered just how much I love almond biscotti in particular. That’s why I’ve created this easy vegan recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth, while still being completely plant-based.
Now, you may be wondering what sets these vegan almond biscotti apart from traditional biscotti. For starters, the recipe calls for unsweetened applesauce instead of eggs or dairy butter. Not only is this healthier and more ethical, but it also helps to keep the biscotti moist and chewy. In addition, we’ll be using a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour, as well as finely ground almond flour for that nutty flavor we all love.
And don’t worry if you’re gluten-free or have other dietary restrictions – substitutions for some of the ingredients are provided in the next section. But trust me when I say the end result will be just as delicious regardless of what flours you use.
So without further ado, let’s dive into this easy vegan almond biscotti recipe that will surely become a staple in your kitchen.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You’re in for a treat with this delicious vegan almond biscotti recipe. You might be thinking that these classic Italian cookies can’t possibly taste as good without dairy and eggs, but trust me, they are equally delightful. The texture is perfectly crunchy and crispy, while the flavor is nutty and sweet.
But what makes this recipe stand out from the rest? For starters, it uses a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour. This not only adds a depth of flavor and heartiness to the biscotti, but it also makes it a healthier option compared to the traditional version. Plus, almond flour is added to maximize that nutty goodness.
Additionally, we use unsweetened applesauce instead of eggs, which makes these biscotti eggless without compromising on taste or texture. It’s also great news for those with an egg allergy or those who are simply following a plant-based diet.
And finally, our biscuits are melted vegan butter-free! Instead, coconut oil or vegetable oil pairs up with organic cane sugar to create that perfect crunchy texture with an extra natural sweetness note.
So go ahead and indulge in these delicious treats guilt-free knowing you made them from scratch using only the best ingredients. Whether you enjoy them in your morning coffee or as an afternoon snack, you’re sure to love these vegan almond biscotti cookies – just like how we do!
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need to make delicious vegan almond biscotti!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, finely ground
- ½ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or pistachios
Note: All ingredients should be at room temperature.
These ingredients can be easily found in any grocery store. Substituting some of the ingredients mentioned above can lead to unsatisfactory results. Once you have gathered all the relevant ingredients, let’s move on to baking these delicious biscotti!
The Recipe How-To
Mixing the Dry Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Add 3/4 cup fine almond flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly using a whisk.
Mixing the Wet Ingredients
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
Making the Dough
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures to form a crumbly dough.
- Fold in 1 2/3 cups unblanched almonds (whole or chopped).
Tip: Reserve some almonds for sprinkling on top of each biscotti before baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (or 180ºC).
- On a clean surface or countertop dusted with flour, roll out the dough into two logs about 12 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.
- Position each log on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake biscotti for about 30 minutes until firm all over.
Tip: Turn baking sheets halfway through baking for even browning.
Second Round of Baking and Cooling Off
- Let the logs cool for at least 15 minutes before handling them.
- Cut into slices about half an inch thick on an angle.
- Arrange biscotti cut-sides down back onto the same baking sheet.
- Toast biscotti by baking them again flipped halfway through for another 20 to 25 minutes until they turn golden brown and crispy.
Enjoy your delicious homemade vegan almond biscotti!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to baking, there is always room for flexibility and creativity. Here are some substitutions and variations you can make to this vegan almond biscotti recipe to cater to your taste preferences and accommodate any dietary restrictions:
– Gluten-free: Swap out the all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour with a gluten-free blend or almond flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
– Nut-free: If you’re allergic to almonds or just prefer not to use nuts, replace the almond flour with an equal amount of all-purpose flour, and omit the whole almonds.
– Fruit and nut combo: Add some variety and texture by mixing in dried cranberries, chopped pistachios or even chocolate chips into the dough before shaping them into logs.
– Orange zest: Add a burst of citrus flavor by adding zest from one orange into the dough.
– Coconut lovers: Use coconut oil instead of vegan butter, coconut sugar instead of granulated sugar, and coconut extract instead of vanilla extract for a tropical twist.
– Experiment with dips: Although these biscottis have their unique and irresistible flavor on their own, they go well with dipped in coffee or hot cocoa. Try dipping them in vegan chocolate or caramel sauce for an extra decadent touch.
These are only a few suggested substitutions and variations, so feel free to experiment and get creative! Don’t be afraid to try something new – that’s often how we discover our new favorites.
Serving and Pairing
Serving and enjoying your vegan almond biscotti is almost as exciting as making them. This crispy treat pairs perfectly with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, a glass of chilled white wine, or even a warm cappuccino on a cold morning. It adds an Italian flourish to any kind of coffee or tea break.
As for the presentation, these biscotti are beautiful on a wooden cutting board, arranged in an artful manner. Their golden-brown hue and sliced almond topping give them a rustic appeal that’s perfect for sharing.
Serve them plain or dip them into melted vegan chocolate for an indulgent finish. Alternatively, you can go the extra mile and sprinkle some shredded coconut on top before devouring them.
These versatile delights can be suitable for a fancy dinner party, an afternoon gathering, or just a little snack to enjoy throughout the day. They also make awesome hostess gifts that will impress any vegan or non-vegan friend alike!
In conclusion, don’t hesitate to serve these tasty vegan almond biscotti and bring an explosion of flavor in your next coffee or tea break.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Congratulations, you’ve done it! You’ve made the best homemade vegan almond biscotti recipe known to man! But what’s next? Do you know how to store them properly? How long will they last before they get dry and crumbly? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with some helpful tips to make your biscotti stay fresh for longer.
This almond biscotti recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. You can prepare the dough, shape it into logs and freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake them, simply let the frozen logs thaw slightly before slicing and baking as directed.
To store freshly baked almond biscotti, make sure they have completely cooled down before transferring them to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. They’ll stay fresh at room temperature for up to two weeks.
If your biscotti lose their crunchy texture over time, there’s still hope! Simply preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C) and place your biscotti on a baking sheet. Reheat them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes or until they become crispy again.
Another option is to dip or drizzle melted vegan chocolate over the cooled biscotti or finely chop them into smaller pieces and sprinkle over plant-based vanilla yogurt. This may change their storage life so store in small batches!
In conclusion, storing and reheating these delicious vegan almond biscotti is a breeze as long as you follow these simple guidelines. Make sure to enjoy them with your favorite hot beverage and bask in the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve made the best vegan version of this classic Italian treat possible!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you’ve got the recipe for vegan almond biscotti, let’s take a moment to go over some tips to ensure perfect results. Even if you’re a seasoned baker, some of these tips might come in handy.
1. Blanched Almonds
I recommend using blanched almonds or buying slivered almonds, which will save you time and energy compared to blanching whole almonds yourself. Slivered and blanched almonds make the dough smoother, and biscuits sturdier, therefore holding their shape better.
2. Finely Ground Almond Flour
Almond flour is essential in this recipe because it provides structure, nutty flavour, and makes the biscotti gluten-free. To obtain the best results, grind your own in a food processor or high-speed blender until finely ground.
3. Bake Two Times
Unlike traditional cookies that are baked once before cooling, biscotti is baked twice. When following this recipe make sure you don’t underbake on the first round; otherwise, they will crumble when you cut them for the second time.
4. Let Them Cool Completely
Before beginning the second round of baking, allow your biscotti to cool completely. If you cut into them too quickly or bake them again while still warm inside, they will lose their crunchiness.
5. Store Them Correctly
For long-term storage or gifting, store your vegan almond biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. Alternatively, place them in a sealed plastic bag and freeze for six months.
Following these tips will help you achieve perfect consistency and crispiness every time you make this delightful vegan almond biscotti recipe.
In conclusion, this vegan almond biscotti recipe is the perfect treat for snack time, coffee breaks, or for gifting to friends and family. It’s easy to make, nutritious, and delicious. You can enjoy it in so many ways, whether you dip it in a warm mug of tea, coffee or hot chocolate or savor it on its own.
What I love about this recipe is its versatility. You can switch up the ingredients and spices to create your own unique creations such as orange zest and dried cranberries or pistachios instead of almonds. Plus, this recipe is also gluten-free friendly, just swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free blend.
So why settle for store-bought biscotti when you can make your own now? With this vegan almond biscotti recipe in your repertoire, you can impress your family, friends, and even yourself with your baking skills. Trust me; it’s simple yet satisfying and will leave you wanting more.
Remember to follow my tips for perfect results and storing to ensure that your biscotti stays fresh and crispy. And don’t forget to read the FAQ section for answers to common questions that you might have.
So go ahead, give this vegan almond biscotti recipe a try and let me know what you think! I’m confident that it will become one of your go-to recipes for snack time or dessert.
Vegan Almond Biscotti Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1 -3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven the 325°F.
- Lightly oil two cookie sheets.
- Use double layer shiny ones, if you have them.
- If yours are very black, line them with foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, oil (1 TBS for a hard biscotti, 2-3 TBS for a softer biscuit), and extracts.
- Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, add the nuts; finish mixing with your hands.
- With floured hands, shape the dough into two 3-inch wide "logs" about 3/4 inch thick, with the ends squared off.
- Place these on the cookie sheets.
- Bake the logs for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300°F.
- Cool the logs on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut the logs carefully with a sharp knife straight across into 1/2 inch wide slices.
- Place the slices cut side down on the cookie sheets (you can remove the foil, if using).
- Bake 5-10 minutes, or until golden on the bottom.
- Turn the slices over and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until golden on bottom.
- Cool on racks, then store airtight for up to two weeks.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.