Cherry Almond Scones Recipe: Delicious Mini Treats | 9 Words
Well, howdy y’all! I’m mighty happy to be sharing with y’all my recipe for some scrumptious Cherry Almond Mini Scones that will satisfy your sweet tooth and put a smile on your face! Now, before you go thinking that vegan scones can’t stand up to their buttery, flaky counterparts, let me tell you, my friends, that these little treats are just as yummy and are made with only the best ingredients.
These tender Cherry Almond Mini Scones are perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea, and they’re so easy to make. You’ll be surprised at how quickly they come together. And let me tell you, one bite of these scones will transport you straight to paradise.
So gather your ingredients, crank up your favorite tunes and let’s get cooking. Trust me, this is one recipe you won’t want to miss out on.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Folks, let me tell you about a vegan recipe that will make your taste buds sing and dance with joy. It’s the Cherry Almond Mini Scones recipe! Trust me, you don’t have to be vegan to love this recipe. These scones are a crowd-pleaser for everyone – vegans and non-vegans alike.
Not only are these scones 100% vegan, but they are also made with wholesome ingredients such as whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, cherries, and almond extract. These ingredients not only make the scones delicious but also pack them with nutrients. Plus, you can use gluten-free flour if you prefer or have a gluten intolerance.
The aroma of these cherry almond mini scones baking in the oven is going to fill your house with a lovely fragrance that’s going to drive you crazy. The hint of almond and tartness of cherries combine beautifully to give the perfect balance of flavors.
If you’re wondering what to serve on weekends for brunch or breakfast, then these mini scones will shine bright like a diamond on your table. They’re perfect for sharing with friends over tea and coffee as well.
So why should you love this recipe? That’s simple: because it’s easy-to-make, healthy, delicious, suitable for any dietary restriction or preference, and guaranteed to satisfy all your cravings with every bite. So don’t hesitate – give these cherry almond mini scones a try and let them become your new favorite treat!
Gather these simple ingredients:
- Cherries: 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and chopped
- Almond Flavors: 1 cup unbleached purpose flour, 1/3 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup organic cane sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 6 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil (cold), 1/2 cup almond milk or soymilk, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- All-purpose Flour: 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking Essentials: 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- For Sweetening:: Sugar – either granulated or coconut sugar. Use whatever you have at hand. The recipe requires a total of about a half-cup of sugar.
- Sea Salt: 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, it’s time for the fun part – making the Cherry Almond Mini Scones!
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
First things first, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of ground almonds, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Whisk all these dry ingredients together.
Step 3: Cut in Vegan Margarine
Now you need to add 8 tablespoons of vegan margarine. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the margarine into the flour mixture until it forms a coarse, crumbly texture.
Step 4: Add Cherries and Almonds
Toss in 1/2 cup of dried cherries and 1/4 cup sliced almonds into the mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix them in until they are evenly distributed.
Step 5: Mix Wet Ingredients
Next, pour in 3/4 cup of soymilk and stir until everything is well incorporated. If the dough is too dry, add more soymilk by teaspoonfuls until the dough is moist enough to stick together. Be careful not to over-mix, as it can toughen the finished scones.
Step 6: Form Dough and Cut into Shapes
Once your dough has formed into a ball-like structure, place it on a lightly floured surface. Knead it gently with your hands, then flatten it out into a 1-inch thick round shape. Cut the round into mini-triangles using a knife or scone cutter.
Step 7: Bake in Preheated Oven
Bake the mini scones on your prepared baking sheet for approximately 14-18 minutes or until they turn golden brown around the edges.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
Well, it’s always fun to experiment with different ingredients in a recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try to make your own spin on these delectable cherry almond mini scones!
– Gluten-free: If you or someone you know is gluten intolerant, you can substitute the all-purpose flour and wheat pastry flour with gluten-free flour mix or rice flour for a gluten-free version of this recipe. You could also use a gluten-free self-rising flour mix instead of the baking soda and baking powder.
– Chopped nuts: Try swapping out the almond flakes with chopped pecans, hazelnuts or even walnuts for a more nutty flavor. You could also add some chopped almonds to give an extra crunch.
– Different fruits: Not a fan of cherries? That’s okay, you can use other fresh or frozen fruits like blueberries, raspberries or strawberries instead.
– Chocolate chips: Love chocolate? Add some chocolate chips to your scones for an indulgent treat. Try dark chocolate chips for a healthier option.
– Vegan butter alternatives: Instead of margarine, use coconut oil or vegan butter for a rich flavor.
– Milk options: If you don’t have soy milk, try oat milk or almond milk instead.
Remember, there are endless possibilities when it comes to making substitutions and variations to a recipe. Use what ingredients you have on hand and create something special. Happy baking!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have baked these lovely cherry almond mini scones, it’s time to serve and enjoy them. Here are some serving suggestions and pairing ideas that will surely elevate your scone experience:
First, let’s talk about the basics. These scones are best enjoyed warm, straight from the oven. Once they have cooled down, reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds or pop them in an oven at 350°F for 5 minutes.
One classic way to serve scones is with tea or coffee — it’s a timeless pairing that everyone loves. For a more unique twist, try serving these cherry almond scones with cherry jam on the side for added sweetness and flavor.
Another great pairing idea is to serve these mini scones as part of a brunch spread. You can add some fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola to make a complete meal. The combination of sweet and savory elements will make your taste buds dance!
If you’re feeling indulgent, why not try adding some vegan butter or chocolate chips on top of your scones? These additions complement the cherry almond flavor perfectly and add an extra layer of richness.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment! These scones are versatile and can be paired with many different flavors. Some other delicious options include almond milk, coconut cream, or even some dairy-free ice cream!
Now that you know how versatile these cherry almond mini scones are, you can get creative and experiment with different flavors and toppings. Whatever way you decide to serve them, be sure to share with your friends and family — they won’t be disappointed!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As much as I love the fresh-out-the-oven taste of these Cherry Almond Mini Scones as soon as they’re out, I understand the need for convenience. After all, life can be hectic sometimes! That’s why I’m giving you some tips on how to make-ahead, store and reheat these scones.
To make-ahead, prepare and cut the dough as instructed in the recipe. Then, place them in a freezer-safe container lined with parchment paper and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to bake them, simply put them in the oven from the freezer and add an extra 2-3 minutes to the bake time. Voila!
To store already-baked scones, keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you want to extend their shelf life even further, store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. To reheat already-baked scones, warm them up in preheated oven (350°F) for about 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
If you wish to maintain that fresh-out-the-oven taste, I suggest reheating only the amount of scones that you will eat immediately while keeping the rest stored away.
Whether you choose to make-ahead, store or reheat your Cherry Almond Mini Scones, they’re always going to be delicious. Just don’t forget to enjoy them with a nice cup of coffee or tea!
Tips for Perfect Results
To make sure your cherry almond mini scones turn out perfectly every time, here are some tips that I find helpful.
Firstly, be sure to use very cold margarine or coconut oil when cutting it into the dry ingredients. This is important because it creates pockets of fat in the dough that will result in a tender and flaky texture once baked.
Secondly, do not overmix the dough. As soon as you add the liquid to the dry ingredients, just mix until the dough barely comes together. Overworking the dough will result in tough and dense scones, rather than light and airy ones.
Thirdly, make sure to measure your flour properly. Too much flour will lead to dry, crumbly scones, while too little flour will cause them to spread out into flat discs. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure your flour accurately.
Fourthly, if you want to add chocolate chips or dried fruit to your scones, toss them with a little bit of flour before folding them into the dough. This will help prevent them from sinking to the bottom during baking.
Lastly, don’t skip the step where you brush the tops of the scones with a mixture of soymilk and maple syrup. This adds a lovely shine and sweetness to your cherry almond mini scones while also creating a beautiful golden brown crust on top.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to bake up a batch of delicious and perfectly textured cherry almond mini scones every time!
Now that you know how to prepare this delicious recipe, I’m sure you’re excited to get started. But before you do, let me address some commonly asked questions about this cherry almond mini scones vegan recipe. Whether you’re a beginner baker or a seasoned pro, these FAQs will help to put your mind at ease and ensure that your scones turn out perfectly every time. So, let’s dive in!
What is a vegan scone made of?
Let’s get started on the dough by taking a mixing bowl and adding in some flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Mix them all together until everything’s well incorporated. Now, using either a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers, rub in some vegan butter into the flour mix. Once this is done, stir in some soy milk and your choice of either raisins or chocolate chips. Give it a good mix until it all comes together to form a sticky yet loose dough.
What can I use instead of coconut oil in scones?
In addition, the inclusion of butter can enhance the smooth and velvety consistency of various sauces. Additionally, it can improve the texture of baked treats by introducing moisture. As a bonus, butter can be used as a replacement for coconut oil as it is available in both liquid and solid forms. Simply substitute coconut oil with an equal amount of butter.
Now that you’ve got the recipe for these scrumptious vegan cherry almond mini scones, it’s time to get baking! Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, there are plenty of reasons to give this recipe a try. Not only does it offer a delicious flavor combination that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth, but it also uses wholesome ingredients that are good for you and the planet.
No matter how you choose to enjoy them – for breakfast, as a snack, or with an afternoon cup of tea – these vegan scones are sure to please. And don’t forget about all the different substitutions and variations you can make to customize the recipe to your liking. So why not get started today and see what all the fuss is about? Trust me, your taste buds (and your conscience) will thank you!
Cherry Almond Mini Scones (Vegan) Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, cold
- 1/2 cup soymilk (almond milk works as well)
- 3/4 cup cherries, fresh or frozen, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the margarine and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your fingers, until the mixture resembles a coarse, crumbly meal.
- Add the soymilk, cherries, and almond extract. Mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands until the mixture comes together to form a dough. You may need to add an extra tablespoon of soymilk if the mixture is too dry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a flat round, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut each round into six equal wedges.
- Arrange the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with a bit of soymilk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the edges and bottom are golden. Serve warm or cover with dish towel until ready to serve.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.