Delicious and Nutritious Baked Granola Cereal Recipe
Do you struggle to find a breakfast that is both delicious and healthy? Look no further than this Mediterranean inspired baked granola cereal! Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients and naturally sweetened, this recipe will quickly become your go-to breakfast option.
As a vegan chef, I understand the importance of creating meals that not only taste amazing but also nourish the body. This recipe does just that, using wholesome ingredients like unsweetened coconut, dates, and tahini to provide essential vitamins and minerals.
But this recipe isn’t just good for you – it’s also incredibly flavorful. The spices used in this recipe, including allspice, cardamom, and cinnamon, give it a distinct Mediterranean flair that will transport you straight to the heart of the region.
Whether you’re following a gluten-free or vegan diet, or simply looking for a healthy breakfast option that doesn’t skimp on taste, this Mediterranean inspired baked granola cereal is the perfect choice. So why settle for boring breakfasts when you can start your day off with a delicious and nutritious bowl of homemade granola?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for an easy, healthy, and delicious breakfast option? Look no further than my Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal! Trust me, once you try this recipe, you’ll be hooked.
First of all, this granola is made with all natural ingredients, so you can feel good about what you are putting into your body. I use rolled oats, unsweetened coconut, nuts like almonds and cashews, and seeds like sunflower seeds to create a protein-packed base that will keep you full all morning long.
But what really sets this granola apart is the medley of delicious flavors that make it so unique. The combination of tahini, dates, vanilla extract, and spices like allspice, cardamom and cinnamon make each bite taste like a decadent treat. And don’t worry about added sugar- the maple syrup used to sweeten the mixture is all natural.
This granola isn’t just tasty- it’s versatile too. You can enjoy it as a bowl of cereal with your favorite non-dairy milk or yogurt, or sprinkle it on top of smoothies for added texture. You can even take it on the go as a vegan and gluten-free granola bar alternative.
Overall, my Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal is an easy-to-make and nutrient-packed breakfast winner. Try it out for yourself and see why everyone loves this recipe!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almonds or cashews
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Feel free to customize your granola with your favorite add-ins, such as dried fruit or cacao nibs.
– 1 cup pitted dates, chopped (optional)
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup any kind of dried fruit (optional)
Note: If you want a nut-free version, substitute the nuts with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or hemp seeds. For a gluten-free version, make sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Also, feel free to adjust the amount of sweetener according to your preference.
The Recipe How-To
Now comes the exciting part – making the granola! Follow these simple steps and you will have a delicious, hearty Mediterranean-inspired baked granola cereal in no time.
To create this vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free granola you will need the following ingredients:
– 3 cups rolled oats
– 1 cup raw almonds or cashews
– ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
– ½ cup sunflower seeds
– 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– ⅓ cup maple syrup
– ¼ cup tahini
– 1 teaspoon allspice
– 1 teaspoon cardamom
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 325°F
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (oats, almonds or cashews, coconut flakes, seeds) together until well combined.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the dates, vanilla extract, maple syrup, tahini, allspice, cardamom, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients bowl and mix well until it’s fully coated.
- Spread the granola mixture out onto the lined baking tray evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even baking.
- Take out from oven once golden brown.
- Let the granola cool completely then transfer it into an air-tight container or jar
- Granola keeps well for up to two weeks at room temperature.
Adjust the baking time according to your preferred level of crunchiness!
Homemade granola is incredibly versatile so you can substitute any ingredients as needed to satisfy your craving or dietary restrictions.
Enjoy this Mediterranean-style baked granola cereal for breakfast or snack on-the-go!
Substitutions and Variations
Now, let’s get creative with this Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal recipe and explore some substitutions and variations that you can use to add some variety to your mornings.
One of my favorite substitutions for this recipe is to switch up the dried fruit. While the recipe calls for dates, you can use any dried fruit that you love. Some great options include raisins, apricots, figs or cranberries. Another great way to switch it up is to add in some unsweetened coconut flakes or chopped nuts like almonds, cashews or pistachios.
If you’re not a fan of tahini, swap it out for almond butter or peanut butter instead. You could also try using different spices like nutmeg or ginger to put your own spin on this recipe.
For those who are looking for a gluten-free option, be sure to use certified gluten-free rolled oats. You could even try making this recipe with quinoa flakes to make it completely grain-free.
If you prefer a lower-carb version of granola cereal, consider substituting the maple syrup for a low-carb sweetener like stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
Finally, if you’re looking for something more snackable than a cereal, try turning this granola recipe into granola bars! Just press the mixture into a baking dish instead of spreading it onto a baking sheet and bake until firm. Once cooled, cut into bars and enjoy as a healthy snack on-the-go.
With these simple substitutions and variations to the original recipe, you can make this Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal uniquely yours while enjoying all the heart-healthy benefits of the Mediterranean diet.
Serving and Pairing
Serving this Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal is a delight for the senses. The aroma of cinnamon and cardamom fills your nose as the crunch of almonds and cashews tickle your ears. I recommend pairing this dish with fresh fruit, such as sliced bananas or juicy strawberries, to add a burst of flavor to your breakfast.
This granola is also great served with Greek yogurt or almond milk for an extra creamy sensation. For a vegan option, try it with a non-dairy milk alternative like oat or coconut milk. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings! Sliced dates, unsweetened coconut flakes, or drizzles of tahini all can bring their own unique tastes and textures to the dish.
I recommend plating this granola in a bowl with fruit on top, sprinkled with some additional nuts or seeds for a bit of crunch. Alternatively, you could pack it up into small containers for an on-the-go breakfast or snack. This granola will satisfy your hunger and leave you feeling energized and ready to take on whatever the day brings!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you have made this delicious Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal, it’s important to know how to store, make-ahead and reheat it. This recipe is great for preparing ahead of time and enjoying throughout the week or even for a party or brunch.
To start, once you’ve baked your granola and it has completely cooled, transfer it into an air-tight container or a large mason jar with a lid. Store this container in your pantry or on your countertop away from direct sunlight and moisture.
If you prefer to make-ahead the granola cereal without baking it, mix all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the dried fruit. Store this uncooked mixture in an air-tight container or large mason jar with a lid until you are ready to bake it.
When reheating the granola cereal, you can add some plant-based milk for extra creaminess. You can also enjoy it cold straight from the jar as a crunchy snack or mix-in for your favorite yogurt or smoothie.
Remember: after storing your granola cereal for a few days, give it a good stir before serving to prevent settling and ensure that all of the ingredients are nicely mixed together. Storing and reheating this delicious vegan granola cereal couldn’t be easier – simply follow these tips and you’ll have a delicious breakfast or snack ready in minutes!
Tips for Perfect Results
So, you’ve decided to make this delicious Mediterranean inspired baked granola cereal recipe. Congratulations! To ensure that your granola cereal comes out perfectly, there are a few tips and tricks that you should keep in mind while making it.
Firstly, I’d recommend using parchment paper to line your baking sheet rather than greasing it with oil. This will prevent the granola from sticking to the pan and make clean-up a breeze.
When mixing together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, make sure to fully incorporate all the spices and seasonings such as cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, and fine sea salt. This ensures that each bite of your granola is evenly spiced and flavored.
Next, when adding the wet ingredients such as tahini and maple syrup, be sure to stir them together with the dry ingredients thoroughly. This ensures that everything browns evenly in the oven.
A key to making delicious granola is toasting it just right. I recommend baking it on low heat (325°F) for about 20-25 minutes or until it’s golden brown, stirring every 5-10 minutes so that it bakes evenly.
Once your granola is perfect golden brown color let it cool completely before storing into an airtight container. This will help preserve its crunchiness and freshness longer.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings or add-ins for your granola like fresh berries, yogurt, or sliced almonds! Granola is a versatile recipe with plenty of room for creativity in terms of flavors and textures.
Follow these tips for perfect results every time you make this Mediterranean-inspired baked granola cereal recipe. Enjoy every bite!
And there you have it, folks! A delicious and nutritious Mediterranean inspired baked granola cereal that is vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened. This recipe not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also nourishes your body with healthy ingredients like rolled oats, nuts, and seeds.
By making this recipe yourself, you’ll have control over the quality of the ingredients used and can tailor the flavors to your liking. And let’s not forget about the health benefits of a Mediterranean diet that are incorporated into this granola cereal.
So why settle for store-bought granola filled with added sugars and preservatives when you can easily make your own healthy version at home? Follow these easy-to-follow instructions and enjoy a bowl of crunchy goodness any time of day.
I urge you to give this recipe a try and see for yourself why homemade granola is always the better choice. Your taste buds will thank you, and so will your body!
Mediterranean Inspired Baked Granola Cereal (Vegan) Recipe
- 3 cups instant oats (see note)
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2-2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup medjool dates, chopped (9-10 whole)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded (optional)
- NOTE: If you only have rolled oats, you can make them instant by pulsing them in a food processor or blender until coarsely chopped.
- Pre-heat oven to 325ºF. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 12” x 17” metal cookie sheet with parchment. Not recommended for glass bakeware.
- In a large bowl, mix together instant oats, chopped nuts, salt and spices.
- In a microwave safe cup, microwave tahini for 20 seconds to warm. In a small bowl, stir together warm tahini, maple syrup and extract. The dates will be added after the granola has baked. **We prefer a less sweet granola, so 1/2 cup of maple syrup is just sweet enough. You can go up to 2/3 cup of maple syrup if you prefer a slightly sweeter granola.
- Add the tahini mix to the oat/nut/spices and stir until well combined and all the oats have been coated. Place the mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes stirring at least once mid bake. Remove when the granola is toasty brown.
- When the granola is done, remove the pan to cooling rack. Let the granola completely cool on the pan. When cooled, mix in the dates and shredded coconut if using. Store in an airtight container.
- The granola will continue to harden and intensify in flavor over the next 8 hours. Don’t worry that the granola doesn’t taste too sweet or crunchy right out of the oven or immediately after cooling.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.