As the old saying goes, “you are what you eat.” So why not make sure you’re eating something delicious? Enter the vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe. This loaded sandwich is a perfect blend of savory vegetables, tangy sauces, and fresh bread. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and perfect for lunches or picnics.
If you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying meal, this vegetarian focaccia sandwich is the way to go. With roasted veggies, tasty rocket arugula pesto, and creamy goat cheese, it’s everything you want in an Italian sandwich without any of the meat. Plus, the homemade rosemary focaccia bread is so flavorful that it takes the sandwich to new heights.
Whether you’re a seasoned veggie lover or just dipping your toes into plant-based eating, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds. So break out your sheet pan and get ready to create one of the best vegetarian focaccia sandwiches around. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe is an exceptionally delicious and healthy alternative to traditional meat-loaded sandwiches. Not only is it flavor-packed, but it’s also loaded with roasted vegetables, creating an unforgettable taste experience in every bite.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just trying to eat healthier, this sandwich recipe is perfect for you. It’s filled with all kinds of nutritional goodness, from high-fiber veggies to antioxidant-rich green peppers and onions, and protein-packed Portobello mushrooms.
But the best part of this recipe is the crispy and chewy texture of the Focaccia bread, which adds another layer of flavor to each bite. This bread is so versatile that you can pair it with pretty much anything you like— its gooeyness makes for a satisfying meal.
Plus, this dish is incredibly easy to whip up, taking less than 20-30 minutes to prepare. Also, you can take advantage of its simple healthy ingredients and affordable cost and make this sandwich as many times as you wish!
So if you are looking for a quick, filling, and healthy meal that will leave your taste buds zinging with satisfaction for hours after each byte, try our vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe! You won’t regret it!
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need to create this delicious Vegetarian Focaccia Sandwich:
- Focaccia Bread: You cannot have a focaccia sandwich without the bread. You can use homemade or store-bought focaccia bread; just make sure it is soft and fresh.
- Roasted Vegetables: I love using portabella mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion for this recipe, but feel free to add your favorite grilled or roasted vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or any grilled vegetable pesto of your choice.
- Olive Oil: This sandwich recipe is all about the layers, and you want to make sure each layer is coated with flavorful olive oil.
- Dijon-Style Mustard: A good quality Dijon mustard spread on the bottom half of your focaccia bread will add a nice, tangy kick to your sandwich.
- Rocket Arugula Pesto: This homemade spread adds some freshness and herbaceousness to the sandwich!
- Mayonnaise: Spread a generous amount of mayo on top of the rocket arugula pesto for some creaminess.
- Goat Cheese: This cheese adds a delightful tangy flavor to every bite, but it’s optional, and you can skip it if you prefer a vegan option.
The Recipe How-To
Prepping the Ingredients
Step 1: Roast the Vegetables
- 12-16 oz. of portabella mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Toss portabella mushrooms, green peppers, and onions with olive oil and spread them over a baking sheet. Keep them in the oven for about 20 minutes, until they are tender but not falling apart.
Step 2: Making Pesto Sauce
- Arugula pesto: 1 cup arugula/rocket leaves, 1/4 cup pine nuts, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 garlic clove, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Garlic mayonnaise: 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, 2 minced garlic cloves
In a food processor, add 1 cup of arugula leaves, ¼ cup of pine nuts, one finely minced garlic clove, ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and some salt and pepper. Pulse until they combine well into a rough paste. Add in a slow stream ¼ cup of olive oil while pulsing again.
For garlic mayo sauce, mix vegan mayo and finely minced garlic together in a bowl.
Step 3: Assembling the Sandwich
- 1 focaccia bread, halved horizontally
- Arugula Pesto
- Garlic Mayonnaise
- Roasted Vegetables
Spread the arugula pesto sauce onto the bottom half of the focaccia bread then spread the garlic mayonnaise onto the top half. Layer roasted vegetables on top of it generously.
Once you have assembled everything satisfactorily on focaccia bread, place it on the baking sheet and bake for another ten minutes at 350°F or until it is heated properly.
You yummy vegetarian focaccia sandwich is now ready to be served!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking for ways to change up this vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe? Here are some ideas for substitutions and variations that can help you customize your sandwich to your liking:
1. Cheese: While this recipe calls for goat cheese, feel free to use any type of cheese you like. Mozzarella or feta would be great alternatives.
2. Vegetables: You can substitute the portabella mushrooms with other roasted or grilled vegetables, such as roasted eggplant, zucchini, or bell peppers. Adding fresh veggies like sliced cucumber or tomato would also be a nice touch.
3. Pesto: If you don’t have arugula pesto, try making your own homemade basil pesto instead. You could also use sun-dried tomato pesto or even avocado spread for a different twist.
4. Bread: If you don’t have focaccia bread on hand, substitute with another crusty bread like ciabatta or sourdough. Alternatively, you could also make your own rosemary focaccia using a bread recipe of your choice.
5. Mustard: While dijon-style mustard is used as a spread in this recipe, feel free to switch it up with honey mustard or even whole grain mustard for added texture.
By changing just one component of this sandwich recipe, you can create a variety of different vegetarian focaccia sandwiches to enjoy at any time of day!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve created this delightful vegetarian focaccia sandwich, you’ll want to present it in a way that showcases all of its delicious flavors.
It is best served hot and loaded with your favorite roasted vegetables. You can create a variety of toppings, such as grilled veggies or sliced portabella mushrooms. For added flavor, spread some dijon-style mustard on the top half of the focaccia bread, and add rocket arugula pesto on the bottom half.
To complement the richness and depth of your sandwich, consider pairing it with an Italian sparkling water or a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. You could also pair the sandwich with a light side dish like sweet potato fries, baked chips, or sliced fresh vegetables.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal at home or are entertaining guests, this vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe is perfect for any occasion. The vibrant flavors and fresh ingredients make it a versatile dish that goes well with many different beverages and sides.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As an avid cook, I know that life gets busy and there isn’t always time to prepare a meal from scratch every day. That’s why one of the best things about this Vegetarian Focaccia Sandwich Recipe is that it’s perfect for making ahead of time and storing for later.
To make these sandwiches ahead of time, I suggest preparing all of your ingredients as listed in section (3) Ingredient List. Once everything is ready to go, assemble your sandwiches and wrap each individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. These wrapped sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
When you’re ready to eat one of these delicious sandwiches, simply remove it from the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature. To reheat, wrap the sandwich in foil and heat it in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven until it’s warmed through. You can also reheat it in the microwave by wrapping it loosely with a damp paper towel and heating in 30 second intervals until warmed through.
If you want to skip the reheating step altogether, these sandwiches can also be enjoyed cold straight from the refrigerator. They make perfect on-the-go lunches or quick weeknight dinners when you don’t feel like cooking.
Overall, this recipe is incredibly versatile when it comes to storage and reheating options, making it perfect for meal prepping and stocking up for those busy days when cooking just isn’t feasible.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making a delicious vegetarian focaccia sandwich, there are a few tips and tricks that can make all the difference in achieving perfect results. Here are some things to keep in mind when preparing this dish:
First and foremost, it is important to use fresh and high-quality ingredients. The taste of your sandwich will largely depend on the quality of your vegetables, bread, and condiments. So take the time to select fresh produce and look for a good quality focaccia bread.
Another important aspect to keep in mind is the cooking temperature. Roasting or grilling the vegetables at a high temperature ensures that they cook evenly and caramelize well, resulting in a delicious and flavorful sandwich.
To add some extra flavor to your sandwich, try spreading a layer of Dijon-style mustard on the bottom half of your focaccia bread before adding your vegetables. The tangy flavor of the mustard pairs perfectly with the roasted veggies.
If you want to take your sandwich to the next level, consider adding some goat cheese or a homemade pesto sauce. The creamy texture of goat cheese complements the hearty vegetables, while pesto adds an herbaceous and tangy flavor.
Finally, when assembling your sandwich, be sure to layer the ingredients well. Start with the roasted or grilled vegetables on the bottom half of the bread, followed by any spreads or condiments you like. Add additional toppings such as fresh arugula or sliced bell peppers for added color and flavor. Finish off by pressing down gently on the top half of the focaccia bread to ensure all layers are nicely packed together.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to create a restaurant-quality vegetarian focaccia sandwich right in your own kitchen. Remember to get creative with your ingredients and have fun!
As a vegan chef, I often find that my readers have plenty of questions and concerns. That’s why I’ve included an FAQ section in this vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe article. I’ll be addressing some common doubts to clear up any confusion so that you can make this recipe with confidence. So, let’s get started!
What to serve with focaccia sandwich?
The following recipe will include instructions for creating a vegan-friendly meal consisting of mashed potatoes, sautéed broccoli, braised greens, a vegetable salad with vinaigrette dressing, classic hummus dip, and a side of dried fruits and nuts. As this meal is plant-based, it will not include the steamed shellfish or fried eggs mentioned in the original text. Let’s get started!
How many calories are in a vegetarian focaccia sandwich?
The pizza focaccia veggie sandwich from Amato’s weighs 17.7 ounces and provides a total of 76 grams of carbohydrates, 70 grams of which are net carbs. It also contains 45 grams of fat, 33 grams of protein, and delivers a total of 810 calories.
Which is the best traditional way to serve focaccia?
When it comes to complementing the flavors of focaccia, there are several options to elevate your meal. Consider tomato bisque, pasta puttanesca, an antipasto platter, shakshuka, or a Caprese salad as ideal side dishes. For a heartier option, roast chicken or meatballs can serve as a filling sandwich. Another alternative is to serve a dip for a quick, easy snack. Some yummy options include olive tapenade, baked feta, or Italian hummus. Let’s get started!
What pan is best for focaccia?
For optimal results, it is recommended to use a circular cake pan rather than a sheet pan when preparing this recipe. To ensure that the dough rises properly, allow it to undergo its second rise in the same pan that it will be baked in. It is also suggested to pour a layer of olive oil – measuring approximately ⅛ to ¼ inches deep – onto the bottom of the pan.
In conclusion, this vegetarian focaccia sandwich recipe is an unforgettable addition to your culinary repertoire. Whether you’re a long-time vegetarian or just starting to dabble in meat-free cuisine, this recipe is sure to delight your taste buds and satisfy your appetite. With its delicious combination of fresh vegetables, savory spreads, and flavorful focaccia bread, this sandwich is a true crowd-pleaser.
So why not try making a vegetable focaccia sandwich today? Not only is it an easy and delicious meal, but it’s also a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. Plus, with the endless possibilities for customization and variation, you’ll never get bored with this versatile recipe.
Trust me, as a vegan chef, I’ve tried countless sandwich recipes over the years, but this vegetarian focaccia sandwich stands out as one of the best. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
Vegetarian Focaccia Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 2 large red peppers or 2 large yellow peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 16 ounces loaf focaccia bread
- 1/4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice bread in half lengthwise.
- Slice peppers into 1/8 inch slices.
- Slice onion and mushrooms.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions, cooking till they begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook till mushrooms are softened.
- Spread mustard on each half of bread.
- Top one half with mushroom mixture, sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the other half of the bread on top the half with the mushroom mixture.
- Cut into 8 slices.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.