Greetings, fellow plant-based food lovers!
I’m thrilled to share my latest recipe with you today. It’s a gluten-free and vegan dish that is incredibly versatile, satisfying, and packed with flavor. If you’re on the hunt for a quick and easy weeknight meal, this Heavenly Quinoa With Asparagus recipe is a must-try.
This quinoa-based dish combines tender asparagus and fragrant onions with fluffy quinoa to create a hearty yet healthy meal that pleases your taste buds and your tummy. It’s rich in plant-based protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals, which makes it an excellent choice for vegans, vegetarians, and those who follow a gluten-free diet.
What I love most about this dish is its simplicity. It requires just a few basic ingredients that you can easily find at any grocery store. Plus, it comes together in less than an hour with minimal effort or cooking skills required.
Whether you’re new to the vegan diet or simply looking for fresh recipe ideas to try out in your kitchen, this Heavenly Quinoa With Asparagus recipe is one of the best choices available. So why not give it a chance today? Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy gluten-free and vegan recipe? Look no further than this Heavenly Quinoa with Asparagus recipe! Not only is it packed with nutrients, but it’s also versatile and easy to customize.
Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
– Quinoa is known as a “superfood” for its high protein content and other beneficial nutrients.
– Asparagus adds flavor and texture to the dish while also providing important vitamins and minerals.
– This recipe is naturally gluten-free, making it perfect for those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
– It’s vegan, which means it’s a great option for plant-based eaters.
– The dish can be served warm or cold, making it a great option for any time of year.
– It’s easy to make in just one pot, saving you time and cleanup.
But don’t just take my word for it. Give this recipe a try and taste the heavenly combination of quinoa and asparagus for yourself. Your taste buds (and your body) will thank you.
Before we start getting our hands dirty, let’s first gather all the ingredients we need to make this Heavenly Quinoa with Asparagus. Don’t worry, everything is easy to find and most of them can be found in your pantry. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed & chopped into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Spices and Seasonings
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper
I recommend using organic produce if possible, as it is not only better for your health but also for the environment. You can also choose to use white quinoa or mix it up with other types like red or black quinoa for a colorful twist.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you know what makes this heavenly quinoa and asparagus salad irresistible, it’s time to learn how I can make it in our own kitchen.
To make this dish, we’ll need
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 lb of asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 packed cup of spinach
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish
How to Cook:
- First, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook them until they are soft and fragrant.
- Next, add the quinoa into the same pan and stir well. Toast it for a minute or two until it gives off a nutty aroma.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, a pinch of salt and turmeric powder, and paprika. Let the mixture boil then lower down the heat to a simmer.
- Cover up your pan with a lid for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, let’s prepare our asparagus by steaming them just until they turn bright green (it only takes about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- After 15 minutes has lapsed or until all liquid is absorbed, remove the quinoa pan from heat then fluff it up using a fork.
- Time for plating! In a large bowl combine your cooked quinoa with cooked asparagus and fresh spinach. Toss them together until the spinach starts to wilt slightly.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top for a spicy kick, adjust the seasonings accordingly if needed then serve!
That’s all it takes! You now have ready-to-enjoy side dishes that will go perfectly with your favorite vegan main course dishes such as mushroom quinoa or corn chickpea salad!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking for ways to spice up your quinoa game, this recipe allows for plenty of substitutions and variations. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own!
For an extra burst of flavor, try swapping out the asparagus for some oven-roasted mushrooms or zucchini. You could also add in some corn for a touch of sweetness, or sun-dried tomatoes if you’re feeling adventurous.
If you’re looking to up the protein content of this dish, substitute the quinoa with brown rice, or mix in some chickpeas for a hearty and filling salad.
For a different spin on this recipe, try making a quinoa paella by adding in some saffron, bell peppers, and peas. Or make it into a creamy asparagus soup by blending everything together with some coconut milk.
Finally, top your quinoa salad with some rocket pesto or avocado sauce to give it that extra bit of pizzazz. The possibilities are endless with this versatile dish!
Serving and Pairing
Are you looking for the perfect dish to serve at your next brunch or lunch gathering with friends? Look no further than this heavenly quinoa with asparagus recipe. The bright colors and fresh flavors of the dish make it an impressive addition to any table.
Serve the quinoa asparagus salad on a large platter, garnished with fresh spinach leaves and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes for an added zing. This dish pairs perfectly with a glass of crisp white wine or iced tea to refresh your palate.
If you’re looking to add even more variety to your meal, consider pairing it with additional vegan dishes like a roasted vegetable medley or a chickpea salad. For a heartier option, serve the quinoa alongside some homemade vegan mushroom soup or corn and sundried tomato salad.
For those who are feeling adventurous, try turning this salad into a delicious vegan quinoa paella by adding some saffron and diced bell peppers. Alternatively, top the salad with avocado sauce for an extra creamy flavor that will have guests coming back for seconds.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this vegan and gluten-free quinoa asparagus recipe is sure to be the star of your next meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Heavenly Quinoa with Asparagus recipe is that it can be easily prepared ahead of time. You could cook the quinoa and chop the asparagus several hours or even days in advance. Store each component separately in airtight containers in your refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the dish.
To reheat, simply use your microwave or warm up the quinoa and asparagus in a skillet over medium heat with a bit of olive oil. Add some vegetable broth or water to make the dish more moist.
If you have leftovers you want to keep for another meal, store in airtight containers in your fridge for up to 3-4 days. This vegan gluten-free dish reheats beautifully, so feel free to make an extra batch!
If you’re planning on serving this quinoa as part of a lunch or dinner spread, it’s incredibly versatile! It works well alongside vegan burgers, falafels, fresh veggies and hummus, or chickpea salad.
Whether served alone as a light lunch or together with other dishes, this quinoa salad lends itself perfectly to meal-prep making weekday lunches quick and effortless. Enjoy!
Tips for Perfect Results
As an articulate assistant for a vegan chef, I know that even the most experienced cook can encounter difficulties in the kitchen. That’s why I want to share these expert tips on how to prepare the perfect Heavenly Quinoa With Asparagus dish that is gluten-free and vegan.
1. Rinse Quinoa Before Cooking
It is essential to rinse quinoa before cooking. This helps remove the bitter taste from the grain’s natural coating, called saponin. To do this, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it under running water for at least 1 minute.
2. Use High-Quality Vegetable Broth
The flavor of your dish is only as good as its ingredients, so make sure you choose high-quality vegetable broth. You can also make your own vegetable broth by simmering onions, garlic, carrots, and celery.
3. Cook the Asparagus Just Right
Asparagus is easy to overcook or undercook, so make sure you blanch it for 2-3 minutes until it becomes tender but still firm to the touch. Immediately plunge them into cold water after blanching to stop them from cooking further.
4. Keep an Eye on Your Quinoa When Boiling
To cook quinoa in a pot, use one part quinoa and two parts liquid such as vegetable broth or water. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer until all liquid has been absorbed and quinoa becomes tender but still crunchy.
5. Use Lemon Zest
The addition of lemon zest enhances flavor and adds zing to your dish by adding an extra dimension of tartness without adding too much acidity.
6. Add Fresh Herbs Right Before Serving
For an extra zesty punch of flavor, add fresh herbs like basil or rocket pesto before serving.
By following these tips carefully, you’ll undoubtedly achieve perfect results with this healthy and delicious recipe!
In conclusion, this recipe for Heavenly Quinoa with Asparagus is an excellent addition to any meal plan. It is gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and easy to make. You will love the way the quinoa, asparagus, and other ingredients come together to create a tasty and nutritious meal.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also versatile. You can make substitutions and variations based on your dietary restrictions or preferences. You can serve it as a side dish or a main course, depending on your appetite. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or special occasions.
This recipe is a great way to introduce quinoa into your diet if you haven’t already. Quinoa is packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s also gluten-free, making it an ideal alternative to traditional grains.
Finally, this recipe will help you take advantage of seasonal ingredients like asparagus and spinach. It’s always best to use fresh produce when possible to optimize their nutritional value and flavor profile.
So go ahead and give this Heavenly Quinoa with Asparagus recipe a try. You won’t regret it!
Heavenly Quinoa With Asparagus (Gluten-Free and Vegan) Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 onion, diced any size
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- red pepper flakes
- spinach, if desired
- Saute 3 cloves of garlic with onion in olive oil in small deep pan until fragrant.
- Add red bell pepper and red pepper flakes briefly.
- Add quinoa and cover with broth.
- Add lots of paprika and turmeric, to taste, with a big pinch of dried basil and salt.
- Cover and let simmer ~ 25 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, rinse asparagus and break off the woody ends where they snap naturally.
- In separate frying pan, heat oil and begin to saute asparagus.
- About a minute before asparagus reaches desired doneness, add remaining garlic, finishing with it mostly raw (Flash-heat spinach here).
- Serve asparagus cut on top of quinoa and enjoy!
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.