Are you looking for a satisfying and flavorful vegan soup recipe that’s packed with protein and fiber? Look no further than this delicious Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup recipe.
This hearty and savory soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cool evening or to enjoy as a satisfying lunch. It has all the bold, spicy flavors you love in Mexican cuisine, including smoky paprika, earthy cumin, and spicy cayenne pepper.
But what sets this soup apart is the addition of crunchy green cabbage, which adds both texture and nutrition to the dish. The black beans provide plenty of plant-based protein and fiber, while the potatoes and carrots give it extra heartiness.
Best of all? This soup is easy to make in just one pot – perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. So why not spice up your meal routine with this delicious Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup is a filling, flavorful and healthy meal that you will not be able to resist. Whether you are a vegan or simply health-conscious, this recipe has something for everyone. The combination of black beans, green cabbage and chopped tomatoes will create a hearty and satisfying soup unlike any other you’ve ever tasted.
One reason to love this recipe is how easy it is to prepare. It only takes one large pot and some basic kitchen tools to create this delicious soup. With clear and concise instructions, you can master this recipe in no time.
Another reason to love this recipe is that it’s loaded with nutritious ingredients. From fiber-rich black beans to vitamin-packed green cabbage, this soup will provide all of the essential nutrients that your body needs. Plus, it’s completely vegan and plant-based, making it an ideal choice for those who want to enjoy a meatless meal without sacrificing flavor or texture.
But perhaps the best thing about this Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup is its versatility. You can customize the recipe by adding different spices and ingredients based on your preference. If you like it spicy, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder; if you prefer it milder, scale back on the spices. You can even experiment with adding other vegetables like sweet potatoes or bell peppers for an extra burst of flavor.
Overall, with all its savory flavors and rich textures, this Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup is the perfect comfort food on a chilly day or when you need a healthy pick-me-up. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or feeding a crowd, this recipe is sure to please everyone’s taste buds while keeping them healthy at the same time
Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients you’ll need for this flavorful vegan Mexican black bean and cabbage soup recipe.
For the Soup:
- 1½ cups dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
You can easily find these kitchen ingredients in your local grocery store.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all the ingredients for your Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup, let’s start cooking! Here is the detailed recipe on how you can make this delicious and nutritious soup.
Step 1: Sautéing the vegetables
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add 1 diced onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 2 diced carrots and 2 diced celery sticks.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Step 2: Adding spices and other seasonings
- Add 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of dried thyme.
- Stir for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
Step 3: Adding the remaining ingredients
- Add the following ingredients to the pot:
- 2 cans of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 small head of shredded green cabbage
- 1 can of diced or cherry tomatoes (freshly chopped tomatoes work too)
- 1 peeled and chopped potato
- 3 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for around 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
Step 4: Finishing touches
- Once all ingredients are cooked through, turn off the heat.
- Mix in a heaping cup (around 160g approx.) of chopped fresh cilantro, juice from one lime, taste test again and adjust seasoning if necessary.
That’s it – your Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup is ready! This recipe makes enough for about six servings, so it’s perfect for meal prep or enjoying with your family at dinner time.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you missing some ingredients or want to switch things up a bit? Here are some substitution ideas and variations to try with this vegan Mexican black bean and cabbage soup recipe:
– Instead of green cabbage, swap with red cabbage or kale for added nutrition and flavor.
– If you don’t have black beans, use kidney beans or pinto beans instead.
– For a spicier kick, add more cayenne pepper, jalapenos or hot sauce. On the other hand, if you prefer milder flavors, just adjust the spices accordingly.
– To make it more filling, add cooked quinoa, rice or corn to the soup.
– If you want to make it creamier, blend part of the soup and then add it back in for a thicker consistency. Alternatively, stir in some coconut milk or cashew cream for a richer taste.
– For a meaty texture, add some chopped seitan, tempeh or vegan sausage as desired.
Remember that sauces and spices can be adjusted to your tastes. Try out different combinations until you find the perfect balance that makes you twirl with delight!
Serving and Pairing
This vegan Mexican black bean and cabbage soup recipe is a perfect meal on its own, but it can also be paired with some delicious sides to create an even more satisfying experience. Serve this soup as a starter, main course or a quick lunch, it’s up to you!
To make your meal even more enjoyable, try pairing the soup with some vegan cornbread muffins or roasted sweet potatoes. The muffins are sweet, moist and will absorb the flavors of the soup, while the sweet potatoes will complement the savory taste of the black beans.
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try serving this soup on top of some mashed avocado toast? The creaminess of avocado will balance out the spices in the soup, creating a rich and indulgent bite.
For a lighter option, serve this soup with a side salad. Create a mix of greens and add some sliced avocado, cucumber and red onion. Drizzle over some fresh lime juice and olive oil for added flavor and acidity that complements the soup perfectly.
Whatever you decide to pair this vegan Mexican black bean and cabbage soup with, enjoy it in good company!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you make this delicious vegan Mexican black bean and cabbage soup recipe, you’ll probably have leftovers to store for later. Good news! This soup stores well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply transfer the amount of soup you want to eat into a pot and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until hot. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave.
This soup recipe also freezes very well. To freeze, let it cool completely after cooking, then transfer it into freezer-safe containers or plastic bags. Make sure to leave some space in the container or bag to allow for expansion as the soup freezes. Label each container or bag with the date and name of the recipe for easy identification.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, and then heat it up on medium-low heat on your stove-top, stirring occasionally until it’s fully heated through.
For longer storage, this recipe can be canned if you have a pressure canner at home. Just make sure to follow safe canning practices when canning soups like this one.
One tip to consider when storing and reheating is to separate the vegetables from the broth when storing. This is because sometimes vegetables tend to get soggy when they’re sitting in broth for prolonged periods of time.
Overall, this Mexican black bean and cabbage soup is versatile and perfect for meal prepping or batch cooking. Whether you’re storing it in your fridge or freezer for later use, this recipe is sure to yield consistent results even after reheating, making it an ideal addition to any plant-based diet.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making a bowl of Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup is simple, but there are some extra steps you can take to make sure your soup tastes incredible. Here are a few tips to keep in mind for perfect results:
1. Use fresh spices wherever possible. Dried spices like cumin, chili powder, and oregano are essential to the flavor of this soup, but they can lose potency over time. If the spices in your pantry have been there for more than six months, consider investing in fresh ones.
2. Don’t skimp on salt. It’s easy to underestimate how much salt your soup needs when you’re cooking without meat or dairy, but be generous with it! Salt helps bring out the flavors of all the other ingredients in the pot.
3. The longer this soup simmers, the better it will taste. While you can certainly cook the soup in 30-40 minutes, letting it simmer for an extra 20-30 minutes will make it taste even better as it allows the flavors to meld together nicely.
4. If you want a little more heat, add fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers, or additional cayenne pepper if you prefer spice with a kick.
5. For added crunch and texture, serve each bowl of soup with a handful of crushed tortilla chips.
6. Use high-quality ingredients for best results: use fresh vegetables that are as recent as possible, canned organic black beans, and high-quality spices.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a delicious and hearty bowl of Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup that could rival any restaurant version!
In conclusion, this Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup Recipe is one of my all-time favorites. Not only is it delicious, but it is also packed with nutrients and easy to make. The blend of spices creates a deep flavor profile, while the vegetables and beans provide a hearty texture that will leave your taste buds satisfied.
What’s more, this recipe is very versatile and can be adjusted to fit your personal preferences. You can add different ingredients or tweak the spice levels to create a dish that is perfect for you. Plus, it makes for great leftovers or meal prep for busy weeks.
Overall, I encourage you to try this recipe out and experience the magic of plant-based cooking. With its savory flavors, nutritious ingredients, and easy preparation, it’s no wonder why this Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup Recipe is a go-to for me and many other food lovers out there.
Vegan Mexican Black Bean and Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin half moons
- 3 stalks celery, chopped small
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large red pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped small
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained or 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 5 -6 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, carrot, celery and potatoes and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 10 minutes, till they begin to soften. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cabbage, black beans and spices. Add water to cover, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot, topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
Add Your Own Notes
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.