Welcome to my basic vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe! As a vegan chef, I believe that plant-based desserts should have just as much flavor and indulgence as their non-vegan counterparts. That’s why I created this easy vegan chocolate cupcake recipe – to prove that being vegan doesn’t mean sacrificing taste or texture.
Now, let me tell you why you’ll love making these cupcakes in your own kitchen. First of all, they are incredibly easy to make and require only simple kitchen ingredients. Moreover, the ingredients used in this recipe are all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, apple cider vinegar, plant-based milk, granulated sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and vanilla extract. These are all pantry staples that you probably already have at home.
But what really sets these cupcakes apart is their moist texture and rich chocolate flavor. You won’t be able to tell the difference between these vegan chocolate cupcakes and regular ones since they’re so yummy! Don’t believe me? Well then, why not give them a try yourself? Trust me when I say that these cupcakes will impress even the toughest critics – vegan or not.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: moist, decadent chocolate cupcakes that are entirely vegan and packed with flavor. That’s exactly what you’ll get with this basic vegan chocolate cupcake recipe. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or simply looking to incorporate some plant-based options into your diet, these cupcakes will absolutely blow your mind.
Not only are they easy to make, but the ingredients required for this recipe are likely already in your kitchen. Plus, you won’t even be able to tell that these cupcakes are dairy-free and eggless. They’re just as rich and indulgent as traditional chocolate cupcakes.
But why would you love this recipe? Firstly, it’s a fool-proof way to satisfy your cravings without compromising on flavor or beliefs. Secondly, these cupcakes are affordable and customizable — feel free to experiment with garnishes such as fruit or frosting (our chocolate-peanut butter frosting is an excellent option) or swap out certain ingredients based on preference.
Moreover, baking these cupcakes is a wonderful activity for anyone who enjoys cooking or wants to learn more about vegan baking. Not only will you gain valuable experience in the kitchen, but you’ll also have delicious treats to enjoy. With all of these amazing reasons and more, there’s no question about why you’ll fall in love with this basic vegan chocolate cupcake recipe.
Let’s gather all the ingredients that you will need to make these moist and chocolatey vegan cupcakes. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Most of these items can easily be found in your kitchen or at your local grocery store.
Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of best quality dairy-free milk (we recommend soymilk)
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
That’s it – only ten simple ingredients required for this easy vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have got all your ingredients measured and ready, it is time to make some delicious easy vegan chocolate cupcakes!
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
Step 2: Mix the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of salt until fully combined.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together ¾ cup of granulated sugar, ⅓ cup of vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add in 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes.
Step 4: Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients
Add in half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture along with a cup of dairy-free milk. Whisk until smooth before adding in the remaining dry ingredients and whisk again until everything is fully combined.
Step 5: Fill Cupcake Papers
Arrange standard muffin papers in your muffin tin or lightly grease them. Fill each paper with about a ⅓ -1/4 cup of the chocolate batter or fill them about two-thirds full to avoid spillage.
Step 6: Bake
Bake your cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in their center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and let them rest in the muffin tin for about five minutes before removing each one carefully using a fork or spatula.
There you have it – moist and gooey vegan chocolate cupcakes ready to be devoured! If you want to take things up a notch, check out section (5) Substitutions and Variations for some fun ideas on how to serve up your basic vegan chocolate cupcakes!
Substitutions and Variations
Hey there foodies! I know that sometimes it’s difficult to procure all the listed ingredients or you just want to add a different twist to your cupcakes, so here are some substitution and variation ideas for our vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe:
– Flour: If you don’t have all-purpose flour or want to avoid gluten, you can use a gluten-free flour blend or a combination of almond and oat flour, but the texture might be crumbly. You could also use whole wheat flour, but expect denser cupcakes.
– Milk: We used soy milk in the recipe, but any dairy-free milk will work. You could also try using coconut milk for a tropical flavor or oat milk for a creamy consistency.
– Apple cider vinegar: You can substitute it with lemon juice or white vinegar.
– Sugar: Any granulated sugar will work great in this recipe, but feel free to experiment with coconut sugar, agave syrup, or maple syrup for a healthier and natural sweetener option.
– Oil: Vegetable oil is the most neutral option for this recipe, but you can swap it for avocado oil or melted coconut oil for added richness.
– Cocoa powder: Dutch-processed cocoa powder results in a smoother texture and darker color than regular cocoa powder. However, if you only have regular cocoa powder on hand, don’t fret! It’ll still be as scrumptious.
But don’t stop there! Here are some variations ideas to play around:
– Salted caramel frosting: Whip up a homemade salted caramel sauce and mix it into your favorite non-dairy buttercream frosting recipe.
– Chocolate peanut butter frosting: For all those Reese’s lovers out there, add some peanut butter into your chocolate frosting mixture and top off each cake with crushed peanuts.
– Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting: Simply swap out the cocoa powder with flour and increase the amount of vanilla extract or paste in the batter. Then frost away!
– Vegan gluten-free/sugar-free/dark chocolate cupcakes: Substitute gluten-free flour blend (if applicable) for all-purpose flour and granulated sugar with caster sugar. Use unsweetened dairy-free milk and dark chocolate (75% cacao). Make sure to use baking soda and baking powder.
So go ahead and get creative with your kitchen ingredients! Remember, cooking should be fun and exploratory. Share your experimentation results with us on social media by tagging us @VeganCookingWithMe.
Serving and Pairing
Now that your vegan chocolate cupcakes are ready to be served, let’s talk about the perfect accompaniments to make them even more mouth-watering. These cupcakes are already a decadent treat on their own, but a few pairing suggestions can elevate them to the next level.
Firstly, these cupcakes go great with a cup of coffee or tea; their rich and chocolatey flavor perfectly complements a hot beverage. You can also add a scoop of vegan ice cream on top of your cupcake for a cooling contrast to the warm, dark chocolate cake.
Another idea is to top your cupcakes with fresh fruits such as raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries. The juicy and tangy flavors of these fruits balance out the sweetness in the cupcakes, creating a perfect harmony in every bite.
For those feeling especially indulgent, you can whip up some chocolate frosting or ganache to slather over your cupcakes. The creamy and rich texture of the frosting pairs deliciously with the fluffy cake texture and dense chocolate flavor.
Lastly, these vegan chocolate cupcakes can also be used as a base for other dessert creations: crumble them up to create a parfait with layers of whipped cream and fruits. Or try making mini versions of them to turn them into bite-sized treats perfect for sharing with friends and family.
Whichever way you choose to enjoy these cupcakes, know that they are sure to leave your taste buds completely satisfied.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you’ve made these delicious vegan chocolate cupcakes, it’s important to know how to store them to keep them fresh and moist for days. Luckily, this recipe is perfect for make-ahead treats!
First, let me start by saying that it’s best to let the cupcakes cool completely before storing them. Once they are cooled, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
If you want to make them ahead of time, they can also be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two months. Just remember to thaw them out well before serving!
If you have any leftover cupcakes that you want to reheat, you can easily pop them into the microwave or oven. Simply microwave each cupcake for about 10 seconds or place them in a 350°F preheated oven for 5-8 minutes until they are heated through. Be careful not to overheat them, or they might dry out and lose their deliciously moist texture.
Another great option is to add some frosting or decoration to your cupcakes right before serving. You can make some simple vegan chocolate buttercream frosting by mixing vegan butter with cocoa powder and powdered sugar, then spreading it on top of the cupcakes. Or try topping the cupcakes with fresh berries, coconut whipped cream, or chopped nuts for an added flavor boost.
No matter how you choose to store or serve these yummy vegan chocolate cupcakes, they will always be a crowd-pleaser! Don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings or decorations – the possibilities are endless.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a vegan chef, I’ve tested many vegan chocolate cupcake recipes. Through trial and error, I’ve learned the essential tips and tricks that can make all the difference in yielding tender, moist, and delicious cupcakes. Follow these suggestions to ensure your cupcakes come out perfect every time.
1. Measure accurately.
Baking is a science. Therefore, accurate measurements are crucial for the recipe’s success. Use a kitchen scale if possible since it’s the most precise way of measuring. If you use measuring cups, make sure you level them off with a straight edge (like the back of a knife) to avoid adding too much flour or sugar.
2. Use high-quality ingredients.
Using high-quality ingredients will pay off in the final result of your cupcakes. Opt for unbleached all-purpose flour, premium unsweetened cocoa powder, and organic granulated sugar for optimal flavor and texture.
3. Don’t overmix the batter.
Mixing the batter too much can result in tough and chewy cupcakes. Mix just until combined, making sure that no flour pockets remain in the batter.
4. Give apple cider vinegar enough time to react with baking soda.
Apple cider vinegar reacts with baking soda to create carbon dioxide gas, which makes your cupcakes rise. Once these two ingredients are combined, send your cupcakes to the oven as soon as possible so that they don’t lose their leavening power.
5. Fill cupcake liners no more than two-thirds full.
Overfilling cupcake liners can cause them to overflow while baking or collapse when being taken out of the oven or muffin tin. Keep this from happening by filling each liner no more than ⅔ full.
6. Rotate pans while baking.
If you’re baking more than one tray at a time, rotate them between racks halfway through baking for even distribution of heat and uniform results.
7. Check doneness with a clean toothpick.
The best way to determine if your cupcakes are cooked properly is to insert a clean toothpick into the center of one cupcake. If it comes out clean or with just a few dry crumbs attached, your cupcakes are ready!
By following these tips, you’ll have perfect vegan chocolate cupcakes every time!
In conclusion, these basic vegan chocolate cupcakes are a true delight for any sweets lover. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can whip up a batch of these moist, fluffy, and decadent cupcakes in no time!
Whether you’re a vegan or not, this recipe is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving without sacrificing taste or texture. Plus, it’s a great way to show your love for animals and the environment by choosing a dairy-free option.
So get into the kitchen, grab those basic kitchen ingredients, and soon enough you’ll have some yummy cupcakes waiting for you! With the wide range of serving suggestions and variations, there’s no limit to what you can do with these cupcakes!
I hope that this recipe article has inspired you to try something new and delicious while staying true to your dietary preferences. Remember that being vegan doesn’t mean compromising on flavor – it’s all about finding creative ways to make food taste just as good (if not better) than the original.
Thank you for reading, happy baking, and please share your own favorite recipes with us in the comments!
Basic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed or regular)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line muffin pan with baking cups (paper or foil).
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside to curdle. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla to the soy mixture and beat until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in two batches beating until smooth, with no large lumps remaining.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking cups, filling them to three quarters full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.