Beloved, let me introduce you to a recipe that will nourish your soul while keeping plant-based in mind. This vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is a staple in my household, and I assure you it will quickly become one in yours too.
Mac ‘n’ cheese is the quintessential comfort food, but it’s often filled with dairy and unwanted additives. As a vegan chef, I’ve been on a mission to create a recipe that satisfies those cravings without compromising on taste. With this recipe, I’ve done just that. It’s a recipe that has brought joy to my family’s dinner time for years.
This dish is perfect for those who are looking for soul food that’s healthy and plant-based. In this recipe, I have used wholesome ingredients such as raw cashews, nutritional yeast flakes and almond milk to create the cheesy flavour without relying on cheddar cheese. And if you’re gluten-free, don’t worry! We’ve got options for you too.
Made with love, this vegan mac ‘n’ cheese recipe will leave your soul feeling satisfied and your body nourished. So come along on this culinary journey with me as we learn how to make the best vegan macaroni and cheese recipe together.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Welcome, dear reader, to the world of soulful, healthy vegan cooking! Are you puzzled about how to overcome your dairy cravings while still following a plant-based diet? Or maybe you’re simply looking for a delicious, comforting mac and cheese recipe that is packed with nutrients and flavor? Then look no further than this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe.
Firstly, this recipe offers an indulgent, cheesy flavor made entirely without any animal ingredients. It is the ultimate comfort food that will leave you feeling both satisfied and guilt-free. The combination of margarine, nutritional yeast flakes, prepared mustard and garlic powder make this dish taste like traditional mac and cheese without a hint of dairy.
Secondly, this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is packed with nutrients that your body will love. Made with whole grain elbow macaroni pasta, soymilk or almond milk, raw cashews, olive oil and paprika. With up to three cups of vegetables added in such as butternut squash, sweet potatoes or green peas. You’ll feel nourished with every bite!
In addition, this recipe can be easily customized to fit your dietary needs or preferences. Whether you want a nut-free version using unsalted sunflower seeds instead of cashews or want to use gluten-free noodles instead of elbow macaroni pasta. You can tailor it for your tastebuds!
Lastly, this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is easy enough for beginner cooks yet tasty enough for experienced chefs. With simple steps laid out in the Recipe How-To section giving you simple instructions that are easy to follow along with helpful tips from myself. All in all just simply delicious!
So what are you waiting for? Indulge in this soulful yet healthy comfort food that adds a twist to traditional macaroni and cheese recipes. Whether you’re trying out the vegan diet or simply looking to add more plant-based meals to your lifestyle. This Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is one you will keep coming back to time and time again!
Creating the Best Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe will require the following ingredients:
For the Pasta:
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- Salted water (for boiling the pasta)
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours or overnight and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, chopped, seeds removed
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
To Make it Creamier:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup white flour or wheat flour
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt to taste
Note: This recipe ingredients is nut-free, soy-free, gluten-free and best for vegan diet. No cheddar cheese included as it was replaced with plant-based ingredients serving as a healthier option. It has a soul food taste minus dairy products but packed with nutritional values from plant-based ingredients.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all your ingredients prepared, it’s time to create the ultimate comfort food – vegan mac and cheese! Follow these easy steps to make this creamy and cheesy pasta dish:
Step 1: Cook Elbow Macaroni
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add elbow macaroni. Cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Step 2: Prepare Cheese Sauce
In a blender, combine raw cashews, unsweetened almond milk, nutritional yeast flakes, juice from 1/2 lemon, prepared mustard, mustard powder, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until smooth.
Step 3: Make Roux
In a saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Whisk in an equal amount of white flour or wheat flour to form a paste (also known as roux). Cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbly.
Step 4: Add Milk
Slowly whisk in about 2 cups of the cheese sauce into the roux until fully incorporated. Add 1 ½ – 2 cups more of any unsweetened plant-based milk (soymilk, almond milk) to thin it out if necessary.
Step 5: Finish Cheesy Sauce
Add the remaining cheese sauce to the pan and continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture has thickened. Add more salt or spices as desired.
Step 6: Combine Macaroni and Cheese Sauce
Fold in cooked elbow macaroni into the pot with cheesy sauce until combined. Serve hot and garnish with extra sprinkle of paprika, chopped herbs, or your favorite vegan cheese.
What could be better than a bowl filled with crispy baked cheesy vegan mac and cheese? Pair this dish with some veggies on the side like roasted broccoli or green beans to make it a complete healthy vegan meal.
Substitutions and Variations
Like any great recipe, this vegan mac and cheese can certainly be adjusted to meet your personal taste preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are a few substitutions and variations to consider:
– Gluten-free: To make this recipe gluten-free, swap the wheat flour for a gluten-free all-purpose flour or chickpea flour.
– Nut-free: If you’re allergic to cashews or other nuts, try using raw sunflower seeds instead. Soak them in water for several hours before blending.
– Vegetable-based: Add some nutrition by incorporating veggies into your dish! Try adding one cup of pureed butternut squash or sweet potato to the cheese sauce for a delicious twist on baked vegan mac and cheese.
– Spiced-Up: For a bit of heat, add a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the cheese sauce. Or try subbing out the paprika and garlic powder with chipotle chili powder for a smoky flavor.
– Smoky Flavor: Add 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke for that smoky flavor.
– Cheesy Flavor: To achieve that authentic cheesy flavor, use nutritional yeast flakes instead of dairy cheese.
Experimenting with different ingredients is half the fun when it comes to cooking. Don’t be afraid to make this recipe yours by playing around with these suggestions or even coming up with some ideas on your own!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delectable vegan macaroni and cheese recipe, there are endless possibilities! The cheesy, creamy goodness pairs well with a variety of side dishes and beverages.
For a simple yet satisfying meal, you can serve the mac and cheese on its own or with a side salad. A crispy Caesar salad or fresh mixed greens drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette complement the rich flavors of the mac and cheese.
If you’re feeling fancy, why not add some protein to the mix? A grilled portobello mushroom cap or some sautéed spinach adds depth to the dish. You can even pair it with vegan “meat”balls or tofu for a complete meal.
For beverages, there are many options that go well with vegan mac and cheese. A crisp white wine like Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc complements the creaminess of the dish. If you prefer non-alcoholic drinks, an iced tea or fruit-infused water is a refreshing option.
With this easy vegan mac and cheese recipe, you have the freedom to get creative with your pairings according to your tastes and preferences. Whether you keep it simple or add extra ingredients, this vegan soul food classic will surely delight your taste buds!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
There’s nothing worse than finishing a hearty meal only to be left with the mess and the leftovers. But you won’t have to worry about that with this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe! Whether you’re prepping for a weeknight dinner or hosting a weekend get-together, this recipe is perfect for making ahead.
To make ahead, just prepare your mac n’ cheese as directed, then cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days when stored properly. When making a big batch of vegan mac n’ cheese, we love to divide the leftovers into individual containers for an easy grab-and-go meal option.
If you want your mac n’ cheese to have that crispy baked texture, simply transfer it to an oven-safe dish and reheat in the oven at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. For those without access to an oven or for a quicker reheat option, you can also reheat in a pan on the stovetop. Simply add a splash of unsweetened almond milk to keep the cheesy sauce from drying out.
One of the best things about this vegan mac n’ cheese recipe is its versatility. It pairs well with so many different dishes and flavors! We recommend serving alongside some seasoned roasted vegetables or pairing it with some crispy baked tofu for a protein-rich option.
And don’t worry if you have leftovers after reheating – they will still taste delicious! Simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze them for up to 1 month. When reheating leftover frozen vegan mac n’ cheese, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating as directed above.
With this recipe, you can easily whip up a delicious vegan mac n’ cheese that not only tastes amazing but is also easy to make ahead and store for later. Plus, its heartiness makes it an ideal comfort food for anyone on a vegan diet looking for some soul food without any dairy involved!
Tips for Perfect Results
As an articulate assistant for a vegan chef, I must ensure that the readers have all the necessary instructions and tips to cook the perfect vegan mac and cheese. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when making this delicious recipe.
1. Use raw cashews for best results: Raw cashews work wonders in creating creamy, cheese-like texture for the sauce. Soak them overnight or simply “quick soak” by adding boiling water to them and let sit for an hour to make them softer and easier to blend.
2. Incorporate other vegetables: You can always add other veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower florets, chopped spinach or kale to increase nutritional value and mix up the texture of the dish.
3. Nutritional yeast is key: Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor to this vegan recipe without using dairy products, just like a magical ingredient! Make sure you are using pure nutritional yeast flakes instead of brewer’s yeast for optimal result.
4. Choose your pasta wisely: Elbow macaroni is traditionally used in classic mac and cheese recipes, but feel free to experiment with other types of pasta like shells, penne or fusilli that will hold the sauce better than spaghetti or angel hair.
5. Adjust consistency when reheating: When reheating leftovers, keep in mind that the sauce might thicken up due to the starch content in the pasta. Simply add small amounts of unsweetened almond milk or soymilk while stirring until you reach your desired consistency.
6. Seasoning is everything: Don’t be shy with spices! Mustard powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper will elevate the flavor profile of your batch tremendously. Add smoked paprika for a delicious smoky twist!
Remember that practice makes perfect! Experiment with various ingredients, explore exciting variations this recipe has to offer! The Ultimate goal is scrumptious cheesy vegan taste; it’s soul food for everyone!
In conclusion, I hope this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe has sparked your interest in exploring more plant-based recipes. Remember that eating vegan doesn’t mean sacrificing taste or texture. This recipe is proof that you can enjoy a classic soul food dish while still sticking to a healthy vegan diet.
Whether you’re new to the world of veganism or a seasoned veteran, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for something cheesy and comforting. With simple ingredients and a straightforward process, anyone can make this delicious dish right in their own kitchen.
So what are you waiting for? Give this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe a try and see how easy it is to make a healthy, plant-based meal that anyone can enjoy. Trust me, your taste buds (and your body) will thank you for it. Plus, you may even impress your non-vegan friends and family with just how good vegan food can be.
Let’s continue to explore different ways of enjoying our favorite dishes without sacrificing the health benefits of a plant-based lifestyle. Let’s keep experimenting with different ingredients and flavors, because the possibilities are endless when it comes to creating delicious vegan meals.
Thank you for letting me share this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe with you. I hope that it brings joy and nourishment to your life as it has for mine. Remember, every small change makes a big difference in our health, our animals’ welfare, and our planet’s sustainability.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup white flour or 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (not necessary if you don't have any) (optional)
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard or 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (or any shape pasta)
- Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan.
- Whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and bubbles.
- Cook and stir 30 seconds more, then remove from the heat.
- Whip in the margarine and mustard.
- Add more milk or water if mixture is too thick.
- Add hot, cooked macaroni, and mix well.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.