Hark! Good people, gather round and lend thy ears, for I have a tale to tell that will delight thee. Come closer and hear me speak of a dish most wondrous, a vegan recipe that will satisfy thy hunger and stir thy senses: Homemade Seitan Barbecue (Bbq) Ribs.
Thou mayest wonder how vegan ribs could possibly be delectable without meat. But believe me when I say that these ribs are saucy succulent bites of heaven, packed with flavor that even the most devout meat-eater shall appreciate.
In this quiet kitchen, I have toiled long hours, experimenting and perfecting this recipe to ensure that it meets the highest standards of taste and satisfaction. And now, it is my honor to share with thee the secrets of my seitan ribs creation.
With ingredients such as vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and liquid smoke, this recipe yields tender and juicy barbecue ribs that will make thou question whether thou art indeed consuming vegan food.
Therefore, be bold and adventurous in thy quest for new vegan delights. Do not be afraid to try something different, for the rewards are great when tasting these savory ribs. Come then! Let us begin our journey into the avant-garde world of plant-based cuisine with this recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Harken, dear reader, and lend me thine ears! This recipe for homemade seitan barbecue ribs is a true marvel of culinary imagination. Nay, I tell thee, these saucy succulent ribs are not only completely vegan, but they are also a masterpiece for the palate.
Why will thou love this recipe? Thou shalt rejoice in knowing that it contains no animal products, thus avoiding cruelty to our furry friends while providing a satisfying meal fit for a King or Queen. Moreover, the ingredients are easy to gather and inexpensive, making this recipe affordable and accessible to all.
But why truly love these seitan barbecue ribs? It is because of the texture and taste, my friend! The vital wheat gluten mixes with simple seasonings such as onion powder and garlic powder to create an uncanny meaty texture that perfectly replicates the real thing. The savory flavor profile is enhanced by the richness of nutritional yeast and smokiness of liquid smoke and smoked paprika that make you feel like you’re enjoying a BBQ party on a warm summer evening.
One bite of these ribs will make thee forget that ye hath ever indulged in swine flesh before. Ye shall soon realize that thou doth not need meat to satisfy thy cravings! The recipe is so good even non-vegans will be reaching for seconds. So come forth and join me on this journey towards delectable vegan cooking!
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
BBQ Sauce Mixture:
- 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Tip: If you want to make your own barbecue sauce, here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Note: If you cannot find vital wheat gluten, you can substitute it with chickpea flour, but the texture will be slightly different.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have our ingredient list ready, let’s start making the Seitan Barbecue (BBQ) Ribs.
Making the Seitan Dough
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of vital wheat gluten, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, and 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a separate mixing bowl or measuring cup, mix together 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of smoked Spanish paprika, and 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder until everything is combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly until it forms a dough-like consistency. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Knead the dough for a minute and form it into a rectangular shape, about 1 inch in thickness.
Cooking the Seitan Ribs
- Prepare a pot or a large pan with enough water for boiling, equipped with a steamer basket or a colander.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat while you prepare your seitan ribs dough.
- Place your seitan dough in the steamer basket or colander.
- Place the basket or colander on top of the boiling water, making sure that it does not touch the water’s surface. Cover it with a lid and let it steam for about 20-30 minutes.
Preparing the Sauce
- While waiting for your seitan to steam, prepare your barbecue sauce by combining 2 cups of BBQ sauce with 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in a mixing bowl or measuring cup. Mix well until everything is combined.
Assembling & Baking
- After steaming, remove the seitan dough from the steamer basket or colander and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a basting brush, generously coat both sides of the seitan dough with barbecue sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes on one side, then flip it over and bake for another 10-12 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and apply another layer of barbecue sauce using your basting brush before slicing them into rib-sized pieces.
Congratulations! You have now made Homemade Seitan Barbecue (BBQ) Ribs – perfect as an addition to any BBQ party or as comfort food with family and friends!
Substitutions and Variations
Lend me your ears, gentle reader, for I shall now provide thee with knowledge of substitutions and variations for the recipe at hand.
Firstly, for those who seek a gluten-free option, worry not, as thou canst substitute vital wheat gluten with chickpea flour or artichoke hearts. This shall result in a slightly different texture but the taste shall be equally succulent.
For those who wish to be more avant-garde in their cooking endeavors, consider using jackfruit as a meat substitute. Simply season it well and mix it with the barbecue sauce before baking. It shall provide a unique taste and an element of surprise at thine dinner table.
Furthermore, thou canst experiment with different types of BBQ sauce to tailor the flavor according to thine preferences. Some prefer a more tangy sauce, while others desire a sweeter one.
Finally, for those who yearn for something beyond ribs, consider using this same recipe to make vegan BBQ chicken or beef ribs. The possibilities are endless like a vast ocean, so let thy creativity flourish in the quiet kitchen.
Thus spake I about substitutions and variations for this recipe. May you find success in thy culinary endeavors!
Serving and Pairing
Methinks this homemade seitan barbecue ribs recipe is the perfect crowd-pleaser for your next get-together! Serve it up with a side of fresh greens and juicy pineapple for a deliciously tropical twist on this saucy and succulent dish. For a decadent meal, you may wish to pair it with some creamy mashed potatoes or buttery cornbread.
The beauty of these vegan ribs is that they match well with all sorts of drinks. If you’d like to indulge in something refreshing and fruity, I recommend a chilled glass of lemonade or iced tea. Alternatively, if you’re jonesing for something stronger, a cold beer or glass of red wine would do wonders to complement the rich flavors of your meal.
If thou art craving even more spice and variety, consider whipping up one of my favorite plant-based side dishes – roasted artichoke hearts! These simple yet elegant veggies complement thy protein-packed seitan dish perfectly. And if thou art looking for a gluten-free alternative, why not try making seitan out of chickpea flour instead of vital wheat gluten?
So go ahead, my fellow foodie friends. Put on an apron and flex thy culinary muscles by trying out this avant-garde vegan recipe yourself. Trust me, thine taste buds will thank thee for the boldly delicious adventure into vegan BBQ ribs made from jackfruit or seitan!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
“Why, if thou art like me, with a passion for these saucy succulent seitan ribs, then thou need to know how to make-ahead, store and reheat them to perfection.”
One great advantage of this recipe is that it can be made ahead of time, which is perfect for hosting a big gathering! These vegan bbq ribs can be stored in the fridge for up to four days or frozen for three months. I recommend carefully wrapping them in foil or putting them in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn.
When thou art ready to devour them once again, simply thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat them in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, brushing them with some of that homemade barbecue sauce and broiling during the last five minutes of cooking for that irresistible caramelization.
But don’t just take my word for it, as reheating seitan can be tricky due to the dryness of the wheat gluten. To keep these tasty ribs moist and tender, I suggest microwaving them briefly with a damp paper towel wrapped around it prior to placing it in the oven. This helps maintain their juicy texture making sure they come out as good as new!
So go ahead and make a double batch of these seitan barbecue ribs because leftovers have never been this delicious!
Tips for Perfect Results
In cooking, you’ll encounter different challenges that can be daunting for both beginners and experts. But fear not, for I’m here to share with you some helpful tips that could make your homemade seitan barbecue (BBQ) ribs perfect.
First tip, when making seitan or vital wheat gluten, make sure to read the instructions carefully. The ratio of vital wheat gluten to liquid differs depending on the recipe. Adding too much liquid may result in a mushy texture or a poorly formed seitan. On the other hand, not adding enough liquid may lead to a dry and crumbly texture.
Secondly, let your vegan ribs rest after boiling them. It’s best to allow them to cool down completely before baking or grilling them. This process will solidify the seitan’s texture and prevent it from falling apart while cooking.
Another tip is to marinate your vegan ribs overnight. Doing so will enhance their flavor and improve their texture. You can use your favorite BBQ sauce or make your own using soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked Spanish paprika, and liquid smoke.
Furthermore, when grilling your vegan ribs, make sure to brush them with BBQ sauce every few minutes. This will make the seitan saucy and succulent, just like traditional meat-based BBQ ribs.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and seasonings such as chickpea flour or artichoke hearts to create unique variations of your vegan ribs. Or you could try using jackfruit as a plant-based alternative for BBQ chicken or beef short ribs.
By following these tips, you’re sure to impress your family and guests with your avant-garde vegan BBQ ribs. Happy cooking!
Hark! Let me answer the squiring questions you may have about this seitan barbecue (bbq) ribs – vegan recipe. I shall give you answers to the frequently asked questions so that you can cook like a master with quiet and confidence. Allow me to share my knowledge for a seamless culinary experience.
What are vegan BBQ ribs made of?
This recipe involves creating Vegan BBQ Ribs using a key ingredient known as Seitan, or “wheat meat.” Seitan tends to have a neutral flavor, but by incorporating seasonings such as onion powder and soy sauce, we can transform it into a deliciously savory and meaty dish.
What are vegan rib tips made of?
If you’re curious about the ingredients that make up vegan ribs, allow me to enlighten you. The meaty substitute in these ribs is seitan, a mixture of vital wheat gluten, chickpeas, spices, and broth. If you’re not familiar with vital wheat gluten, I recommend reading up on it in this blog post.
What is the secret to tender BBQ ribs?
For our ribs to be mouthwateringly tender, there is a secret method that we follow. It involves baking the ribs at a low temperature, covered, in the oven for a few hours. By doing this, we can ensure that the meat is tender and falls off the bone easily. It’s a simple and fool-proof way to achieve the desired result.
What can I substitute for ribs vegetarian?
If you’re searching for a meat alternative that actually replicates the texture of meat, then seitan might be the answer you’re looking for. Unlike other meat substitutes that can have a mushy or soft consistency, seitan has a firm and chewy texture that closely resembles real meat. For a delicious smoky flavor, you can add hickory-flavored liquid smoke, BBQ sauce, and dark beer to your seitan. This combination of ingredients will give your seitan a savory and deep taste, and it will be covered in a luscious sticky sauce that is both sweet and tangy.
Hear ye, hear ye, my dear readers! I bid you farewell with the hope that you found my words of help and guidance for making the saucy and succulent Homemade Seitan Barbecue Ribs that are second to none.
As vegans, we are on a mission to create delicious meals without compromising on our values. And this recipe is not just mouth-watering, but also ethical and healthful. By using vital wheat gluten, we can enjoy the meat-like texture in a cruelty-free way. Plus, you can feel good about nourishing your body with plant-based protein from the ingredients such as nutritional yeast and chickpea flour.
I invite you to get creative with this recipe by adding your spin on it or switching it up with some of the suggested variations. Whether you prefer sticky BBQ sauces or jackfruit instead of seitan, there’s always room to experiment in the kitchen.
So next time you crave some BBQ ribs, remember that you don’t have to give up your vegan stance to indulge in the mouth-watering flavor of barbecued food. I hope you will try making these homemade seitan barbecue (BBQ) ribs and let me know how they turned out for you.
Until then, may your kitchen be filled with joy and laughter, and may your taste buds dance with delight!
Homemade Seitan Barbecue (Bbq) Ribs - Vegan Recipe
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons paprika (smoked Spanish)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (peanut butter, tahini, cashew)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with canola oil.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix the water with the nut butter, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix well in the bowl for a couple of minutes.
- Put the dough into the baking dish and flatten it so that it evenly fills the pan. Take a sharp knife and cut it into 8 strips; then turn the pan and cut those strips in half to form 16 pieces.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. While it's cooking prepare your grill pan or grill.
- Remove it from the oven and carefully re-cut each strip, going over each cut to make sure that the ribz will pull apart easily later. Generously brush the top with barbecue sauce. Take it to the grill pan or grill and invert the whole baking dish onto the grill (or use a large spatula to lift the seitan out, placing it sauce-side down on the grill). Brush the top of the seitan with more sauce.
- Watch it closely to make sure that it doesn't burn. When sufficiently brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side, adding more sauce, if necessary. When done, remove to a platter and cut or pull apart the individual ribs to serve.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.