Ah, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, discerning reader. Allow me to introduce you to a recipe of savory delight and plant-based wonderment: the Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe.
In an era of ever-increasing environmental awareness and dietary restrictions, this culinary creation offers a feast for the senses without sacrificing morals or taste. With a balanced blend of olive oils, soy sauce, garlic cloves, spices and herbs, the Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe delivers a healthy dose of protein that pushes beyond the confines of meat and dairy.
But don’t be deceived by its vegan nature – this recipe does not lack in flavor nor texture! The seitan chicken style cutlets made from chickpeas and vital wheat gluten offer a satisfying chewy bite. When combined with bread crumbs, lemon zest, and paprika, the Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe exquisitely masquerades as its meaty counterpart.
So come with an open mind and adventurous taste buds, dear reader. The Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe awaits your culinary mastery.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Indulge me if you will, and allow me to wax lyrically about the Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe, a culinary delight that will send your taste buds into overdrive like nothing else.
Are you tired of having to resort to plain old vegetables or the same boring tofu for a vegan meal? Fear not, my dear reader, because these chickpea cutlets are the answer to your culinary woes.
First and foremost, this recipe is entirely vegan and plant-based. The use of chickpeas and vital wheat gluten means that you’ll get an ample dose of protein while also indulging in some delicious flavor. These vegan chicken cutlets are every bit as crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside as their meat-based counterparts.
Moreover, this recipe allows for customizations galore! You can experiment with different spices, herbs, and seasonings to create a unique flavor profile that’s all your own. For instance, adding dried rubbed sage to the mix gives it classic Italian chicken flavor notes – perfect for a vegan chicken parmesan dish. Lemon zest adds a refreshing citrus taste, while paprika can lend a smoky note.
But perhaps what sets this recipe apart is its versatility in preparation. You can have it baked or fried; either way, it’s guaranteed to be delicious! The crispiness of the chickpea cutlet pairs perfectly with a mushroom gravy or marinara sauce on top. And if you’re looking for something more indulgent and decadent, try stuffing one of the chickpea patties with vegan cheese -trust me on this; it’s divine!
All in all, this Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe is an incredibly easy vegan dish that delivers exceptional taste while also packing a punch with protein content. So why not give it a shot? Your tastebuds will thank you!
Below are the essential ingredients that you will need to make the chickpea chicken cutlet vegan recipe:
For the Chickpea Cutlets:
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten or chickpea flour (for gluten-free option)
For the Dredging Mixture:
- 1 cup chickpea flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or vegan chicken-style seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil (about 1 to 2 cups)
- Mushroom gravy for serving (optional)
These ingredients can be easily found at your local grocery store or health food store. Don’t forget to rinse and drain your chickpeas to remove any excess salt or debris. If you are using vital wheat gluten, make sure to check for any allergies beforehand. Also remember that the mushroom gravy is optional but highly recommended for enhancing the flavors of your dish.
The Recipe How-To
To create this splendid chickpea chicken cutlet vegan recipe, follow the steps below.
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup of chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes
- zest from one lemon
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). While waiting for the oven to heat up, add the cooked chickpeas into a blender or a food processor to blend until almost smooth.
Transfer the blended chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and add in soy sauce, olive oil, vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, onion powder, chopped garlic, rubbed sage, paprika, dried parsley flakes and lemon zest. Mix all ingredients with a spatula or spoon until it forms a moist dough-like mixture.
Lightly grease an oven-safe dish with extra virgin olive oil. Wet or spray your hands with water or cooking spray and form about 6 slices or oval-shaped patties out of the mixture.
Place each patty on the greased dish and bake for 30 minutes. Make sure to flip them over at around minute 15 in order to cook both sides evenly.
While the cutlets are baking mix vegetable broth along with olive oil and garlic powder in a small bowl.
After thirty minutes pour the broth mixture onto the patties and place it back into 375°F (190°C) preheated oven for an additional 20 minutes extra until the chickpea cutlets turn golden brown color.
Once done let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving hot with your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, BBQ sauce or vegan ranch dressing.
These instructions will guide you towards creating perfect textured and flavor-rich chickpea chicken cutlets so that you can enjoy vegan recipes without sacrificing taste or texture!
Substitutions and Variations
While this Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe is delightful as it is, you can always make a few changes to suit your taste and preferences. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Gluten-free: If you prefer a gluten-free version, you can substitute chickpea flour with gluten-free flour such as rice or almond flour. You can also replace vital wheat gluten with other binding agents such as arrowroot or xanthan gum.
– Mushroom Gravy: For a savory gravy that perfectly complements the cutlets, you can prepare mushroom gravy using mushrooms, vegetable broth, garlic, and thyme.
– Seitan Chicken: Instead of using chickpeas, you can use seitan (vital wheat gluten) to create vegan chicken cutlets. Combine 2 cups of vital wheat gluten with 1 cup of vegetable broth, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp of paprika, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Knead the mixture until it becomes elastic and let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and flatten them into patties. Cook them in a pot of simmering vegetable broth for 25 minutes.
– Italian Chicken Parmesan: Add Italian seasonings such as oregano, basil, and thyme to create an Italian-style chicken parmesan out of these cutlets.
– Breaded Cutlets: If you like your cutlets crunchy, coat them with breadcrumbs mixed with spices such as sage, paprika, and garlic powder before frying or baking them.
– White Bean Cutlets: Use white beans instead of chickpeas to make protein-packed white bean cutlets.
These are just a few ideas to experiment with this recipe. Feel free to get creative and come up with your own adaptation. Hope you enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
As a vegan chef, I believe that food should not only taste good, but should also be beautifully presented. That’s why I recommend serving these delicious Chickpea Chicken Cutlets with a colorful side salad or roasted vegetables. The vibrant colors of the seasonal vegetables will not only make your meal look more appetizing but will also provide an array of essential vitamins and minerals.
Another pairing option is to serve these cutlets with quinoa, wild rice or couscous. These healthy grains perfectly complement the savoriness of the chickpea cutlets and its rich flavor profile.
For a more elaborate meal, I suggest topping the cutlets with marinara sauce and vegan mozzarella cheese, then baking them in the oven until the cheese melts for a delicious vegan chicken parmesan.
If you’re in the mood for something indulgent, you can coat these cutlets in bread crumbs and fry them for a tasty vegan version of fried chicken. Paired with sweet potato fries or mashed potatoes, this dish is perfect for weekend dinners or family gatherings.
Whether you choose to go with a light salad or a heavier side dish, these Chickpea Chicken Cutlets are versatile enough to be paired with any of your favorite sides.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
My dear friends, one of the great benefits of this vegan chickpea chicken cutlet recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and store it for later. This is an excellent choice if you are planning to have a party soon or if you want to meal prep for the week.
To make ahead, cook the chickpea cutlets as per instructions and let them cool down completely. Then, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. You can even freeze them cooked or uncooked for up to two months. Just make sure to thaw frozen cutlets before reheating.
When reheating, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C), coat the baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray, place your chickpea chicken cutlets and heat uncovered in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively, you can reheat on the stovetop over medium heat in a non-stick pan with extra virgin olive oil until crispy and heated through.
If you are storing uncooked chickpea cutlets, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to freezer bags and store for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking.
I highly recommend not making the mistake of storing leftover cutlets with any sauce on top because doing so will make them soggy. Store sauces in separate containers and add them later when you’re ready to enjoy your leftover vegan chicken dish.
In conclusion, preparing these delectable vegan chicken cutlets ahead of time is an effortless way to have a quick hearty meal at your fingertips. I hope this guide on making ahead, storing, and reheating encourages you to try this recipe without fear of wasting leftovers.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making perfect chickpea chicken cutlets, there are a few things that you can do to ensure the most excellent possible results.
One of the most important tips is to use quality ingredients. Whenever possible, choose organic produce and high-quality spices, oils, and vinegars. For this recipe, I recommend using extra virgin olive oil for both the chickpea mixture and the pan-frying process.
Another tip is to be sure your chickpeas are well-drained before beginning the recipe. Excess moisture can result in soft or mushy cutlets, which will not have the same texture or hold up well during cooking.
It’s also crucial to take the time to properly mix and knead the ingredients together. This helps ensure the vital wheat gluten is fully incorporated, making it easier to form and shape the cutlets.
When shaping the cutlets, make sure they are uniformly shaped so that they cook evenly. You can use a small kitchen scale to measure each portion out for even accuracy.
Finally, make sure to keep an eye on your pan temperature. You want it hot enough to create a nice browning but not so hot that it burns quickly or leaves an uncooked interior. Adjust the heat as necessary during cooking.
By following these tips, you can achieve perfectly crispy and flavorful chickpea chicken cutlets every time!
My dear readers, I hope that this recipe for Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe has inspired you to try new, plant-based options in your cooking. By using chickpeas and vital wheat gluten, we can create a protein-packed vegan chicken cutlet that is both delicious and nutritious.
Not only are these chickpea cutlets an easy vegan recipe to make, but they are also versatile in terms of serving and pairing. Whether you want to enjoy them as a burger, or with some roasted veggies on the side, the flavors and textures of these vegan cutlets will be sure to satisfy your cravings.
Furthermore, this recipe provides a great alternative to traditional chicken dishes without sacrificing flavor. We can enjoy the taste of Italian chicken parmesan or fried chicken fillet while maintaining a plant-based diet.
So why not give this recipe a try? Your taste buds (and body) will surely thank you for it. Let’s continue exploring new and innovative ways to create wholesome, delicious meals that benefit both ourselves and the planet we call home.
Chickpea Chicken Cutlet Vegan Recipe
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked, canned
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- olive oil, for pan frying
- In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas together with the oil until no chickpeas are left. Add the remaining ingredients and knead together for about 3 minutes.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Divide the cutlet dough into 4 equal pieces. To form cutlets, knead each piece in your hand for a few moments and then flatten and stretch each one into a roughly 6 by 4 inch rectangular cutlet shape.
- Add a moderately thin layer, approximately 2 Tbsp., olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Place the cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. Add more oil, if needed, when you flip the cutlets.
- The cutlets are ready when lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Oven baked chickpea cutlets:
- Spray or oil a baking sheet with olive oil. Brush or spray cutlets with olive oil and place on tray. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Flip cutlets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are firm and golden brown.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.