Hello there, fellow foodies! Are you ready for some lip-smacking vegan goodness? If your taste buds are craving a tangy and sweet dessert, then this Great Key Lime Pie recipe is the perfect treat for you. Trust me; you’d never guess that it’s vegan!
The creamy texture of the pie coupled with the zesty flavor of key limes will leave you wanting more. But wait, there’s more to this guilt-free indulgence – it is also gluten-free! So, you can bite into a slice of heaven without any dietary restrictions.
I know many people hesitate to try vegan desserts because they assume that they won’t be as delicious as their non-vegan counterparts. However, I can assure you that this key lime pie recipe will not disappoint. It’s easy to make and a definite crowd-pleaser.
So, let’s get started and tantalize those taste buds!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: you’re under the scorching sun, feeling hot and bothered. Suddenly, you crave something tart and sweet to cool you down. Enter our Great Key Lime Pie (Vegan, but You’d Never Guess It!) Recipe.
First things first, let me tell you why you’ll love this recipe. Not only is this vegan key lime pie delicious, but it’s also easy to make and gluten-free! It’s perfect for those who have food allergies or simply want to try a healthier version of this classic dessert.
Our recipe uses firm silken tofu instead of cream cheese or condensed milk, making it a much healthier bake. Plus, it’s high in protein and low in fat. Instead of using traditional graham crackers, we made our own crust with graham cracker crumbs and coconut cream. The coconut cream adds a subtle tropical flavor that goes perfectly with the tangy key lime juice.
One thing that makes our recipe stand out from the crowd is its use of vanilla pudding mix. It may seem unconventional, but it gives the filling an extra layer of creaminess without overpowering the lime flavor. And let’s talk about the limes! We used both key lime juice and lime rind to create a balanced yet zesty flavor that will make your taste buds dance.
In short, our Great Key Lime Pie (Vegan, but You’d Never Guess It!) Recipe is not only healthy but also bursting with flavor. Whether you’re a fan of tangy or sweet desserts, this vegan key lime pie will surely impress your taste buds. Give it a try and experience the healthiest bake your body deserves!
Let me tell you what goes into this Great Key Lime Pie recipe. You’ll need a few key ingredients, all of which contribute to the perfectly smooth and tangy flavor you’ll savor with each bite.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Graham cracker crust: 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (use gluten-free if needed), 1/4 cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener, 2 tbsp lime rind
- Lime filling: 3 cups of vanilla pudding mix, juice of 2 key limes (about 1/4 – 1/3 cup), zest of 2 limes, 1 and 1/2 packages Mori-Nu firm silken tofu, 8oz carton vegan cream cheese or soy cream cheese
- Topping (optional): Coconut whipped cream or coconut milk whipped cream.
This pie will definitely become a crowd-pleaser if you use high quality ingredients!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to bake this Great Key Lime Pie. Just follow these easy instructions and you will have a delicious vegan pie with a perfect balance of tangy and sweet flavors.
Step 1: Prepare the Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix 1 ¼ cup of graham cracker crumbs with ¼ cup of melted vegan butter and 1/3 cup of liquid sweetener. You can use maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener of your choice. Be sure to mix well so that everything is evenly combined.
- Grease a pie dish with some vegan butter or coconut oil, and then press the mixture in with your hands or with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
- In a blender, combine 2 cups of firm silken tofu (you can use Mori-Nu firm silken tofu), ¾ cup of key lime juice (use juice from freshly squeezed key limes for the best flavor), 1 ½ tsp of grated lime rind, and 1 package (3 ounces) of vanilla pudding mix. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Make Vegan Whipped Cream (Optional)
- If you’d like to add whipped cream to your pie, then in another bowl combine 1 can (14 oz) of chilled coconut milk and 2 tbsp of powdered sugar. Beat it with an electric mixer or whisk until creamy and smooth.
Step 4: Bake the Pie
- Add the filling mixture into the baked graham cracker crust, spreading it out evenly across the surface.
- Put it in the oven at 350°F and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven, let cool down to room temperature then refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Step 5: Serve
- Once your Great Vegan Key Lime Pie is cooled down, take it out from the fridge, slice it up however you would like and serve!
This recipe is easy to prepare and bake, even if you’re new to vegan baking. Once your pie is ready, you’ll be amazed by how delicious it tastes. And no one will ever guess that this pie is vegan! Enjoy.
Substitutions and Variations
The best part about this Key Lime Pie recipe is how customizable it is. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try.
– Graham Cracker Crust: If you don’t have graham crackers, or prefer a different crust, try using crushed digestive biscuits, Oreos or even a gluten-free option like almond meal or coconut flour. You could also experiment with adding chopped nuts or spices like cinnamon to the crust for an extra kick of flavor.
– Liquid Sweetener: Instead of maple syrup, you could use agave nectar, honey (if not vegan), or even brown rice syrup.
– Vanilla Pudding Mix: Though this ingredient helps to thicken the filling, it can be substituted with cornstarch (2 Tbsp) mixed into the lime juice before adding it to the blender. Alternatively, you can skip the pudding mix altogether and simply increase the amount of tofu used by 1/4 cup.
– Silken Tofu: If you can’t find firm silken tofu, you can use soft or regular tofu. However, be aware that it will produce a softer filling and may need longer to set in the fridge.
– Coconut Milk: Instead of soy cream cheese, you could use coconut cream for an extra creamy texture and tropical flavor.
– Lime Juice: Though key lime juice is preferred for its distinct flavor, regular lime juice can also be used, especially if key limes are not available in your area.
– Added Ingredients: This recipe is perfect as-is but feel free to add your own twist. Some ideas include topping the pie with whipped coconut cream, adding fresh berries on top for color or substituting lemon zest for lime rind.
Remember that these are just a few suggestions – get creative and make this recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
Of course, the most obvious pairing for this delicious vegan key lime pie is a nice cup of coffee or tea. The light and tangy flavors of the key lime complement the warmth and richness of a good cup of joe perfectly.
You can also add a bit more sweetness to your dessert by serving it with some fresh berries or homemade whipped cream. A dollop of coconut whipped cream would be a great vegan option that’s both creamy and light.
If you’re feeling really indulgent, you could also serve your vegan key lime pie with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream or sorbet. The citrus flavors of the pie would nicely balance out any richness in the frozen treat.
One unusual, but highly recommended pairing is a glass of bubbly. A crisp, dry Prosecco or Champagne can surprisingly bring out the tanginess hidden inside this vegan key lime pie. Plus, it just feels festive!
Overall, you have options when it comes to serving and pairing this scrumptious dessert. The light, zingy flavor profile opens up a lot of possibilities, so don’t be afraid to get creative!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now that you’ve made this delicious vegan key lime pie, you may be wondering how to store it and if it can be made ahead of time. The good news is, yes, you can prepare this dessert in advance and keep it fresh until serving time!
This vegan key lime pie can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Keep in mind that the graham cracker crust may soften slightly over time, but the filling will remain firm and tangy.
If you’re looking to make this pie a few days ahead of time, we recommend keeping the crust separate from the filling until just before serving. This will help preserve the integrity of the crust and ensure that it doesn’t get soggy.
To reheat this pie, simply pop it in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through. Alternatively, you can microwave individual slices for 20-30 seconds each.
For a more refreshing option in warmer weather, try freezing this vegan key lime pie.! Simply wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and store it in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to serve, thaw it overnight in the fridge before slicing.
With these tips for storing, reheating and even freezing your vegan key lime pie, you’ll always have a delicious dessert on hand – whether you’re planning ahead or enjoying leftovers!
Tips for Perfect Results
Want your Great Key Lime Pie to be the talk in town? Follow these simple tips and take your baking game to the next level.
Firstly, make sure to use fresh key limes for the pie. While bottled lime juice may be convenient, there’s no substitute for tangy, fresh lime flavor. For the graham cracker crust, use high-quality ingredients such as real butter or vegan buttery spread so that it won’t turn out greasy or crumbly.
It’s important to take your time blending the silken tofu until extremely smooth. Any lumps can negatively affect texture and consistency of the final product. If you’re using a blender, pause intermittently and scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed to ensure all the tofu is blended evenly.
Incorporating silken tofu into your filling results in an extra creamy, velvety texture. However, be careful not to over blend the mixture otherwise it may become too airy and almost mousse-like. Pay attention to consistency during the blending process.
When making the whipped coconut cream, use a stainless steel bowl that has been chilled in the freezer until very cold. This will help in achieving stiff peaks faster, resulting in perfectly fluffed cream that looks visually stunning on top of pies.
Lastly, when serving, garnish with additional zest of key lime on top and additional dollops of whipped coconut cream around each slice. The added bright citrus pop compliments perfectly with the tangy filling and is sure to impress even non-vegan eaters!
Make note of these essential pointers so that you can always bake Great Key Lime Pie with ease and confidence!
Great job, you’ve made it to the end of this recipe article for a vegan key lime pie that you’d never guess is vegan! I hope you’re feeling confident and inspired to bake this delicious dessert.
Not only is this recipe easy and quick to make, but it’s also gluten-free and healthier than traditional key lime pies. With ingredients such as firm silken tofu and coconut cream replacing dairy products, this pie is not only animal-friendly but also a better choice for your health.
In addition, the use of natural liquid sweeteners like maple syrup instead of sweetened condensed milk makes this recipe an excellent option for those who prefer lower sugar intake.
Don’t let the idea of baking vegan intimidate you. This recipe is straightforward and fool-proof with tips and substitutions provided throughout the article. So go ahead, give it a try!
I guarantee that this great key lime pie will be an outstanding addition to your repertoire. Your taste buds will be pleasantly surprised, and no one will ever guess that it’s vegan.
Thank you for taking the time to read through the article, and I would love your feedback on how your Vegan Key Lime Pie turns out. Happy baking!
Great Key Lime Pie (Vegan, but You’d Never Guess It!) Recipe
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package mori-nu firm silken tofu (I use lite)
- 8 ounces soy cream cheese
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime rind
- 2 (4 ounce) packages mori-nu mates vanilla pudding mix (must be this brand, it's made to go with the tofu)
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener, to taste (I use honey but that's not vegan!)
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shells (I prefer graham) or (9 inch) graham cracker crust (I prefer graham)
- Drain any excess water from the tofu.
- Blend tofu and lime juice in a processor or blender until creamy and smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except crust!), and blend again until smooth.
- At this point, I had to transfer the mixture to a bowl and beat on high speed with an electric mixer, since it was too thick and stiff for my blender.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and chill 2-3 hours or until firm.
- This sets up very firm.
- It also makes a great pudding or little tartlet filling for fancy desserts!
- Note for those who try with other pudding mixes. Make sure your mix is Vegan. Commercial mixes can contain meat by products making them not Vegan or Vegetarian.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.