Ladies and gentlemen, have you ever craved a warm and hearty soup that is not only filling but also packed with flavor and nutrients? Well, look no further because I have just the recipe for you! Introducing my vegetarian lentil soup recipe- a comforting and delicious soup that will surely satisfy your taste buds.
I created this recipe with the intention of making something that is both healthy and flavorful. Lentils are known to be an excellent source of protein, iron, and fiber, making them the perfect ingredient for a nutritious meal. Apart from its health benefits, my lentil soup recipe is also full of various vegetables and seasonings which add a depth of flavor to the dish.
Whether you are a vegan or simply looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this recipe is sure to please. So grab your aprons and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This lentil soup recipe is sure to win over your taste buds and warm your belly. The lentils, with their earthy flavor and slightly nutty texture, are cooked to perfection in a rich vegetable broth. The combination of aromatic vegetables and spices such as onion, garlic, green pepper, cumin, and coriander create a flavorful soup that will leave you wanting more.
But what makes this vegetarian lentil soup even more appealing is its nutritional value. Lentils are high in protein, fiber, iron, and folate. They’re also low in fat and cholesterol-free. This makes the soup an excellent source of nourishment for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Additionally, this soup recipe is versatile and adaptable to suit your preferences. Substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth can turn this vegan lentil soup into a classic mixed vegetable soup for non-vegans. Adding chopped carrots, celery or spinach could enhance the health benefits of the soup while providing added texture and flavor.
In short, if you enjoy the warmth of aromatic spices with a tinge of nuttiness, love soups that are nutrient-rich and filling without sacrificing deliciousness then this is the best lentil soup that you’re looking for!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious vegetarian lentil soup recipe:
Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dry lentils, brown or green lentils are best
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
– Frozen spinach, thawed and drained (about ½ cup)
– Peanut butter (2 tablespoons), to thicken the soup up a bit
Note that lentils, onions, garlic, and carrot are major ingredients that you should have on-hand before starting this vegetarian lentil soup recipe. You could also add in other vegetables such as zucchini or squash if you like.
The Recipe How-To
After reading about the reasons why this Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe is a must-try, it’s time to get cooking. This recipe is easy to follow and quick to prepare, making it a great option for a weeknight dinner or a cozy lunch.
Before starting, make sure all ingredients are chopped, diced, and rinsed. In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil and let it heat up. Then add the finely diced yellow onion, diced green pepper, and the finely chopped garlic. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Bring in More Flavors
Add chopped carrots and celery to the pot, stir for 2 minutes on medium heat until slightly softened. Next, add lentils, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth. Make sure you stir all ingredients well into your one pot of happiness.
To season your Vegan Lentil Soup, add 2 teaspoons of cumin and coriander each along with 1 teaspoon of black pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly, so each spoonful will be packed with flavorful aromas. Feel free to twirl around with extras like chipotle or harissa to give it a little more adventure.
Cover your pot of soup tightly with its lid for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. To serve your easy lentil soup ladle into bowls and enjoy! Lentil soup is best served hot but can easily be reheated throughout the week.
With this simple Lentil Vegetable Soup recipe on hand, you’ll have no trouble getting yourself fed with something savory!
Substitutions and Variations
In cooking, there are endless possibilities for variations and substitutions. Here are a few ideas to customize your vegetarian lentil soup to your personal taste:
– Instead of using dry lentils, you can use canned lentils. Just drain and rinse them before adding to the soup.
– For a heartier soup, add diced potatoes or sweet potatoes along with the carrots and celery. You can also add some cooked rice or quinoa to the soup.
– If you want more greens in your soup, replace the frozen spinach with fresh spinach or kale.
– Spice it up by adding some chili flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can also stir in a teaspoon of cumin or coriander for extra flavor.
– For a creamier texture, stir in some coconut milk or cashew cream at the end of cooking time. Alternatively, you can blend some of the soup until smooth and then stir it back into the pot.
– If you prefer a chunky soup, skip blending the soup and leave it as is.
– Add protein by adding some cooked chicken, tofu or even leftover ham bone. Alternatively, add some crumbled tempeh for an extra plant-based protein boost.
Remember, cooking is all about experimentation and making it your own. So don’t be afraid to get creative with your ingredients!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delicious vegetarian lentil soup, you can’t go wrong with the classic bread and butter. However, if you’re looking to take things to the next level, I recommend trying out some creative ideas.
One of my favorite ways to serve this soup is by topping it with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream. The tangy flavor of the dairy pairs perfectly with the hearty lentils and vegetables. If you’re looking for a vegan option, try using vegan sour cream instead.
Another great way to add some crunch and texture is by sprinkling some toasted sesame seeds or croutons over the top. Not only will it add some extra flavor, but it will also make the dish more visually appealing.
For a more substantial meal, try serving this soup alongside a fresh salad or some cooked rice. The rice will compliment the lentils and make the meal more filling, while the salad will provide some freshness and lightness.
Finally, if you’re having friends over for dinner or hosting a party, consider making a big batch of this soup and serving it in mini shot glasses or cups as an appetizer. It’s an unexpected twist that your guests are sure to love.
No matter how you choose to serve this vegetarian lentil soup, one thing’s for sure – it’s going to be delicious!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As we all know, soups are an ideal make-ahead meal because they can be easily stored and reheated without sacrificing their delicious taste. This vegetarian lentil soup recipe is no exception! Not only can you whip up a batch of this soup in one pot for a hassle-free meal, but it also stores and reheats beautifully.
To make this soup ahead of time, I recommend cooking the lentils separately from the other ingredients. Once the lentils are cooked, drain them and set them aside. Then, in a separate pot, cook the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until they are tender.
Once your vegetable mixture has cooled slightly, mix in the precooked lentils and allow everything to cool completely before storing. You can store the soup in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator for up to four days or in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to enjoy your pre-made soup, simply thaw it overnight if it’s been frozen and then heat it on the stove or microwave until it’s warmed through. I recommend adding a splash of extra vegetable broth or filtered water as needed to restore the soup’s original consistency.
Overall, this vegan lentil soup is a great addition to your meal prep routine! It requires minimal effort and allows you to enjoy a healthy and delicious meal whenever hunger strikes.
Tips for Perfect Results
When making the perfect lentil soup, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you take your dish from ordinary to extraordinary. Here are some helpful tips for achieving the best results:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: Always use fresh, high-quality ingredients for this recipe. This will ensure that your soup tastes great and has a fresh flavor.
2. Soak the lentils: To reduce cooking time and make them easier to digest, it’s recommended to soak your lentils overnight before cooking.
3. Don’t overcook: Overcooking can turn your lentils to mush, so be sure to cook them just until tender with a slight bite.
4. Add seasoning gradually: It’s always better to add salt, pepper or any other seasoning gradually to avoid over-salting or over-spicing.
5. Spice it up: Lentil soup is naturally spiced up with cumin and coriander, but don’t be afraid to play around with different spices to find what complements your taste buds.
6. Experiment addition of other vegetables: The beauty of the lentil soup is that it pairs well with different vegetables like carrot, celery, tomatoes or even pumpkins.
7. Let it rest: After cooking, let your soup sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together perfectly.
8. Invest in good cookware: A large stock pot or Dutch oven is essential when preparing soup recipes like this one. It helps to evenly distribute heat and prevent burning at the bottom of the pot.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to elevate your vegan lentil soup into something truly special!
In conclusion, this vegetarian lentil soup recipe is not only easy to make, but it’s also nutritious and satisfying. The combination of lentils, vegetables and spices creates a flavorful and heartwarming soup that’s perfect for any occasion. Plus, as a vegan chef, I can assure you that this recipe is totally meat-free and vegan-friendly!
So go ahead and give this lentil vegetable soup a try. You won’t be disappointed! And if you’re feeling adventurous, feel free to experiment with some of the substitutions and variations listed in the recipe article.
Remember, whether you’re looking for an easy lentil soup recipe or a classic vegan lentil soup recipe, this one is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. So grab a pot, some oil and your favorite vegetables, and get cooking!
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 g sazon goya
- 2 tablespoons goya sofrito sauce
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- fill pot with hot water add dry lentils, rice salt, pepper, sofrito, zazon and cook in medium heat or crock pot for 40 minutes or until lentils and rice are soft.
- add more water if it decreased and salt if needed.
- Add peanut butter, tomatoe sauce, sugar, stir fry peppers, mixed vegetables, and spinach and cook for 10 minutes.
Add Your Own Notes
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.