As a vegan chef, I am always on the lookout for delicious recipes that pack a nutritious punch. That’s why I love this Vegetarian Basmati Rice Salad Recipe. It’s got everything you want in a healthy meal – fresh vegetables, whole grains, and a flavor-packed vinaigrette. Plus, it’s quick and easy to make!
Whether you’re looking for something to enjoy as a main course or as a side dish, this rice salad recipe is sure to please. And the best part? You can customize it to your heart’s content! Add in some extra veggies or swap out the dressing for something spicy – the possibilities are endless.
So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of mundane salads and looking for something more flavorful? Then look no further than this vegetarian Basmati rice salad recipe! Trust me; you won’t regret it.
First, the vibrant colors will catch your eye – green peas, red and yellow bell peppers, and orange carrots will turn any dinner party into a feast for the eyes. And the flavors match the colors perfectly. The coolness of fresh spinach with the sharpness of green onions will entice your senses from the very first bite.
But what makes this recipe truly special is the combination of basmati rice and Mediterranean ingredients. The nutty flavor of basmati rice, mixed with olive oil, rice vinegar, and spices like curry powder and cumin, creates a unique taste that’s both tangy and savory. If you’re someone who loves experimenting with new flavors in the kitchen or who wants to try a different twist on a vegetable salad, this recipe is definitely for you.
With fresh ingredients and an easy-to-follow method, this recipe can be enjoyed all summer long at barbeques, picnics or dinner parties to impress family and friends. And if you’re looking for a vegan dish that will also give you some extra protein- try adding beluga lentils or chickpeas to your salad.
So go ahead- mix up this salad and enjoy every delicious forkful with friends or colleagues – they’ll all be wanting more!
- Basmati rice: You can use either cooked or uncooked brown or white basmati rice for this recipe. For best results, use the best quality basmati rice you can find.
- Vegetables: Fresh spinach, diced yellow and red bell pepper, diced carrot, chopped celery, chopped green onions, and fresh peas.
- Vinaigrette dressing: A combination of rice vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and curry powder gives a burst of savory taste to this salad.
- Other ingredients: In addition to the above ingredients, you’ll need kidney beans, pomegranate seeds, chopped red onion, and curried rice.
Note: It’s important to cook will all measurements accurate in order to achieve perfect results.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the fun part of this vegetarian basmati rice salad recipe and talk about how to make it. Don your aprons, sharpen your knives, and follow these easy step-by-step directions.
- 3 cups cooked Basmati Rice, cooled
- 1 can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh Peas, blanched and drained
- 1 medium Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Red Onion, chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 stems Celery, chopped
- 5 stalks Green Onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- ¼ cup Pomegranate seeds (optional but highly recommended)
- 3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Step 1: Prepare the Rice Salad Bowl
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cooked Basmati rice with the kidney beans, peas, carrots, red onions, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, celery and green onions. Stir thoroughly.
Step 2: Make The Vinaigrette
In a small jar mix together the rice vinegar along with the curry powder and salt. Next add in the extra virgin olive oil bit by bit until the vinaigrette is completely blended together. Set aside.
Step 3: Dress The Salad
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad ingredients and then toss everything together using two large spoons until sure that all ingredients are well coated.
Step 4: Let it Rest
Allow the flavors of the vegetable salad dressing to marry with those of your ingredients for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour before serving. Top with some fresh pomegranate seeds to give a pop of color and flavor.
This unique spin on Basmati rice will liven up your mealtime for years to come. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making the perfect vegetarian Basmati rice salad recipe, there are countless substitutions and variations to try. Here are some options to add some variety:
– Use brown rice instead of basmati rice for a nuttier flavor and more texture in the dish.
– Try swapping out some of the vegetables for your favorites. This recipe calls for fresh peas, carrots, spinach, green onions, celery, yellow bell pepper, and red bell pepper but you can use almost any veggies that you like.
– To mix things up and add an exotic touch to your salad, try adding pomegranate seeds or slices to give it a pop of color and a sweet-tart flavor.
– For those who love spicy food, consider adding a sprinkle of curry powder or chili flakes to give it a bit of a kick.
– If you want it to be even more protein-packed, toss in some beluga lentils or kidney beans. They’ll add both plant-based protein and nutrients.
– Add some cowboy rice to it. Cowboy rice is packed with flavor and perfect for someone who loves cheesy goodness since it is made using cheese.
Regardless of which substitution or variation you go with, this Basmati rice salad recipe is a flexible one that works well with many alternative ingredients. Experiment until you find the version that works best for you!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this vegetarian Basmati rice salad, there’s no shortage of great options that will complement the flavors and textures of the dish.
For a light and refreshing meal, try serving the salad alongside some grilled vegetables, such as zucchini or eggplant. Alternatively, you could pair it with a protein-packed main course, like grilled tofu or chickpeas.
If you’re looking for an extra burst of flavor, consider adding some fresh herbs to the salad before serving. Mint, parsley or cilantro can all be used to add an extra layer of complexity to the dish, while also providing a pop of color.
One great thing about this Basmati rice salad is that it’s incredibly versatile and can work well with a wide range of different flavors and cuisines. If you’re looking to create a Mediterranean-inspired feast, serve the salad alongside some hummus, pita bread and olives.
On the other hand, if you’re in the mood for something with a bit more of a kick to it, try pairing the dish with a spicy curry or salsa. A glass of crisp white wine or refreshing iced tea would also make the perfect accompaniment to this light and flavorful vegetarian dish.
Regardless of how you choose to serve it up, one thing is for certain: this vegetarian Basmati rice salad is always sure to impress. With its blend of fresh vegetables, nutty Basmati rice and tangy vinaigrette dressing, this dish is sure to be a hit with everyone at your table. So why wait? Make a big batch today and get ready to savor every bite!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you plan to prepare the Vegetarian Basmati Rice Salad in advance, I recommend making the rice and chopping the vegetables separately. Store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to two days. When you’re ready to assemble the salad, add the dressing and mix well.
You can also pre-mix the ingredients and store them in an airtight container for up to one day in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, give it a good mix before serving.
When storing leftovers, make sure that everything is cooled down completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Proper storage can prolong the life of the salad for up to three days.
To reheat the salad, place it in a skillet over medium heat with a few tablespoons of water, vegetable stock or extra dressing to prevent drying out. Stir occasionally until heated through.
This salad is perfect for meal prepping as it keeps well and tastes just as delicious after being stored in the fridge. It’s also an ideal dish for potlucks or picnics as it can be made ahead of time and stays fresh throughout the day.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the perfect Vegetarian Basmati Rice Salad, there are a few tips and tricks that can help ensure success. As an experienced vegan chef working with this recipe, I have some valuable insights that may come in handy when preparing your own version of this delicious salad.
One of the most important factors in achieving the optimal texture and flavor for your rice salad is properly cooking the basmati rice. To do this, be sure to use high-quality basmati rice and follow the instructions on the package carefully. For best results, use a rice cooker or follow my time-tested method for stovetop basmati rice cooking:
– Rinse 2 cups of basmati rice thoroughly under cold water
– In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice with 3 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt
– Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid
– Cook for 18 minutes without lifting the lid, then remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes
– Fluff the cooked rice gently with a fork and let it cool before adding it to your salad
Another key element in making this dish stand out is using fresh seasonal vegetables. While the recipe calls for specific vegetables like green onions, carrots, fresh peas, and red and yellow bell peppers, feel free to add or substitute other veggies based on what’s available. I love using ingredients such as cherry tomatoes or cucumber during summertime, or some roasted butternut squash during fall.
Finally, don’t skimp on the vinaigrette! A tasty dressing can make or break a good salad. My recommended vinaigrette formula includes mixing 3 tablespoons of high-quality olive oil with 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar or lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 1 minced garlic clove and some salt/pepper to taste. For added flavor, try mixing in herbs such as fresh mint leaves. Toss this dressing onto your Vegetable Basmati Rice Salad right before serving to bring out all its flavors.
Follow these tips and you’ll surely impress your friends and family with your delicious Vegetarian Basmati Rice Salad creation.
In conclusion, this vegetarian basmati rice salad recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a healthy, quick and easy meal option. With its combination of fresh, nutritious ingredients and bold flavors, this recipe is sure to delight your taste buds and leave you energized throughout the day.
Whether you are a vegan or looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this recipe is an excellent choice for you. It can be easily adjusted to suit your preferences and dietary requirements by simply substituting or adding other vegetables, legumes or grains.
So why wait? Grab your apron and head to the kitchen to make this delicious basmati rice salad today! Trust me; it’s guaranteed to become one of your go-to healthy meal options in no time.
Vegetarian Basmati Rice Salad Recipe
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach, well washed
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup fresh peas (or frozen petit peas, defrosted)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope cream of spinach soup mix (Knorr)
- Put cooled rice in a large bowl; add the next 7 ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, and soup mix together until well blended.
- Pour half of the dressing over the rice and vegetables; stirring to coat the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate both the salad and remaining dressing at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, add more dressing as needed.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.