Welcome to the world of deliciousness! I am delighted to share with you my recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Brown Sugar Glaze. With autumn upon us, it’s time to indulge in seasonal recipes that are both scrumptious and healthful, and this vegan pumpkin scone recipe is a perfect example of that.
If you’re like me and considerably obsessed with pumpkin spice, then these scones are a must-try! This recipe brings together the warm flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, all enveloped in a crunchy exterior and decadent maple-brown sugar glaze. As one who values nutrition-conscious baking alternatives, I assure you that my recipe uses only wholesome ingredients to satisfy both your taste buds and nutritional goals.
Perfect for breakfast or snacking throughout the day, this recipe is easy to follow and can be customized based on your preferences. For those who prefer gluten-free options, incorporating almond flour or other gluten-free flours would make a fantastic substitution. Also if you want to elevate the flavor and texture further, adding chopped pecans or raisins will create beautifully textured bites.
With this Vegan Pumpkin Scone recipe, you can have all the flavors of fall in every bite while making the best choices for your health goals!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a tasty and healthy vegan treat, look no further than these pumpkin scones with maple brown sugar glaze. Not only are they easy to make, but they’re also packed with flavor and nutrients.
Firstly, this recipe uses pumpkin puree as one of its main ingredients. Pumpkin is a member of the squash family and is loaded with vitamins A and C, which can boost your immune system and improve your skin health. Additionally, the pumpkin puree adds moisture to the scone dough, making them tender and light.
Secondly, these scones are made with whole wheat flour, providing more fiber than traditional all-purpose flour. Fiber is important for digestion and can also reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Lastly, the maple brown sugar glaze is the perfect finishing touch to these vegan pumpkin scones. It’s made with real maple syrup, which not only adds flavor but also contains antioxidants that can protect against cell damage.
Overall, this pumpkin scone recipe is a healthy twist on a classic treat that everyone will enjoy. So why not try it out for yourself and indulge in a guilt-free dessert?
Before starting to prepare these Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Brown Sugar Glaze, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients. This recipe uses simple and easy-to-find ingredients but some of them have a vegan twist. Let’s take a look at what you will need.
For the Pumpkin Scones:
- 2 cups flour (gluten-free or whole wheat flour also work)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, chilled and diced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
For the Maple Brown Sugar Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (substitute with vegan butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
Note that if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can use a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger to make your own. Also, keep in mind that you can use any milk substitute for the soy milk in this recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have discussed the ingredients, it’s time to dive into the recipe itself! Trust me when I say that these vegan pumpkin scones with maple brown sugar glaze are worth the effort. Follow these steps and you’ll have a delightful treat in no time.
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). This will ensure your oven is at an optimal temperature for baking your scones to perfection.
Step 2: Mix Together Your Dry Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of purpose flour, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Be sure to mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Step 3: Mix Together Your Wet Ingredients
In another mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup of soymilk, and 1/2 cup of melted margarine. Add in a handful of raisins if you desire. Mix them well.
Step 4: Combine Wet and Dry Mixtures
Pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture bowl until ingredients are evenly mixed together. Begin folding all ingredients with a spatula making sure not to overmix the dough.
Step 5: Form the Scones
On a clean surface, dust flour then form the dough mixture into a circular shape about half an inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a sharp-edged metal ring to cut out circular scone shapes.
Step 6: Bake
Place your scones onto an ungreased baking pan then brush each top with melted margarine before sprinkling with extra sugar on top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Step 7: Prepare Maple Brown Sugar Glaze
While waiting for your scones to bake, prepare the maple brown sugar glaze by whisking together 1/4 cup of melted margarine, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a small bowl until smooth.
Step 8: Apply Glaze Onto Warm Scones
Once your scones are out from the oven and still warm, apply the maple glaze onto them. Wait for a few minutes for them to cool down then serve!
With practice, you’ll be able to make these vegan pumpkin scones with ease. Enjoy them alone or with some hot tea!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the most exciting aspects of cooking is experimenting with different ingredients and creating new flavor combinations. As a vegan chef, I often find myself substituting traditional ingredients with plant-based alternatives to make my recipes healthier and more ethical. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try for this vegan pumpkin scone recipe.
1. Gluten-free option: If you have gluten sensitivity, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of whole wheat flour. You can also replace the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of almond flour or oat flour.
2. Oil-free option: Instead of using vegan butter or coconut oil, you can substitute applesauce or mashed bananas to add moisture to the scones. Keep in mind that the texture will be slightly different.
3. Add-ins: Feel free to customize your scones by adding in raisins, chopped pecans, or chocolate chips. These will complement the pumpkin flavor and add extra texture.
4. Maple glaze variations: While the maple brown sugar glaze in this recipe is delicious, you can also try other glaze variations such as a simple powdered sugar and soymilk glaze or a maple cinnamon glaze by adding 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the maple glaze mixture.
5. Pumpkin spice variations: Experiment with different proportions and types of pumpkin spice such as cloves,l cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger which would ensure the perfect blend for your taste buds.
By trying out these substitutions and variations, you can make this already delicious vegan pumpkin scone recipe even more unique and personalized to fit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Don’t hesitate to get creative in the kitchen and enjoy exploring new flavors!
Serving and Pairing
These vegan pumpkin scones with a delectable maple brown sugar glaze are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a snack any time of day. To enhance your scone-eating experience, try pairing them with a warm cup of tea or coffee. The sweetness of the glaze complements the earthiness of tea while the robustness of coffee helps balance out the creamy richness of the scones.
For an added twist, you may also serve these delicious scones with fresh berry compote or apple cinnamon butter for an extra layer of flavor. The versatile recipe allows for experimenting with other pairings and spreads like hazelnut butter, chocolate almond butter, or vegan cream cheese mixed with seasonal fruits.
If you plan to serve these vegan pumpkin scones at a brunch gathering, consider offering them alongside classic breakfast favorites such as scrambled tofu, fruit salad or vegan omelets. You may also enjoy them as a delightful dessert after dinner with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream.
The best thing about these vegan pumpkin scones is their ability to adapt and expand to your taste preferences. Whether enjoying them on their own or as part of a larger meal, these scones are sure to be crowd-pleasers and are ideal not only for vegans but for anyone looking for a healthier alternative to traditional scones.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
These Vegan Pumpkin Scones can easily be made ahead of time and stored for later use. Once the scones have cooled completely, you can wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container and store them at room temperature for up to 1-2 days. If you want to store them for a longer period, you can freeze them for up to three months.
When reheating the scones, it is important not to overheat them, as they can dry out quickly. You can reheat the scones in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5-7 minutes or use a microwave on low power in intervals of 10 seconds until they are warm enough to your liking.
To make-ahead the maple brown sugar glaze, mix the powdered sugar, maple syrup and soymilk together in a small bowl. Store the glaze ingredients separately until ready to serve your scones.
Just before serving, heat the glaze ingredients over low heat or in the microwave, whisking constantly until smooth. Let it cool slightly before drizzling over your vegan pumpkin scones for a perfect finishing touch.
Remember to store your leftover glaze in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. When ready to use again, reheat the glaze gently until it reaches a pourable consistency by stirring it occasionally with a heat-proof spatula.
Tips for Perfect Results
To make the perfect vegan pumpkin scones with maple brown sugar glaze, you’ll need to pay attention to certain aspects of the recipe. Here are some tips that will help you get the best possible results:
1. Use fresh ingredients: Don’t use stale or expired ingredients in your recipe. Make sure you’re using fresh ingredients to ensure that your scones taste delicious.
2. Add just enough liquid: When mixing the dough, be careful not to add too much liquid. Overmixing can also make your scones tough, so mix until all the ingredients are just combined.
3. Don’t overwork the dough: Overworking the dough can result in tough scones. After adding the wet ingredients to your dry mix, gently mix them together and knead for a few times until they are properly combined.
4. Chill the dough: Before cutting out your scones, chill the dough for about 10-15 minutes so that it’s easier to handle and won’t crumble during cutting and transport.
5. Use sharp tools: Use a sharp biscuit cutter or knife to cut out your scones. This will result in a cleaner cut and better-looking scones.
6. Brush with milk: Brushing your scones with a little bit of plant-based milk before baking will give them a nice golden brown color and additional flavor.
7. Prepare your glaze ahead of time: Prepare your glaze ahead of time before baking so that it has enough time to cool down before drizzling it on top of freshly baked scones.
8. Store properly: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or freeze for longer storage.
By following these tips, you’ll get perfect vegan pumpkin scones every time!
All in all, these vegan pumpkin scones with maple brown sugar glaze are easy to make, healthy and super delicious. Whether you are a vegan or not, give this recipe a try and enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea for a cozy fall breakfast or snack. With simple substitutions and variations, you can customize it to your liking and make it gluten-free, nut-free or even more indulgent by adding pecans or chocolate chips.
Plus, by making these scones at home, you can save money and avoid the added preservatives and artificial flavors that come with store-bought pastries. You can also feel good about using pumpkin puree, which is packed with vitamins, fiber and antioxidants that support immune health.
So don’t wait any longer! Get your apron on and get baking! Invite some friends over or surprise your family with this delightful treat. I hope you will find this recipe as enjoyable as I have. Let me know how it turns out in the comments section below!
Remember, whether you’re looking for a classic fall-flavored pastry, a healthier snack option or a vegan alternative to Starbucks’ pumpkin scones, this recipe has got you covered. So go ahead and indulge yourself guilt-free with these scrumptious vegan pumpkin scones with maple brown sugar glaze. Happy baking!
Vegan Pumpkin Scones With Maple Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 7 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup margarine
- 7 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon soymilk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice). Cut in margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and combine well.
- Knead the dough in the bowl until well mixed.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Flour your hands, and form the dough into small triangles, using about 1/8 cup of dough for each mini-scone.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If the edges are turning brown, it's time to take them out!
- Powder the brown sugar in a blender or food processor until it resembles confectioners sugar.
- Melt the margarine in a small pot. Remove from heat before the margarine burns, and add the powdered brown sugar, soy milk, and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Drizzle the glaze over the scones and allow to cool before serving (if you can wait that long!).
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.