Imagine walking into a cozy kitchen filled with the warmth and aroma of a hearty vegetable stew simmering on the stove. The rich, savory aroma of the Spanish-style Menestra de Verduras fills the air, tantalizing your senses as it cooks to perfection.
This recipe combines the best Spanish flavors with fresh ingredients, making it a perfect meal for any occasion. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or hosting a special event, this vegan-menestra stew is sure to impress your guests.
As a vegan chef, I’ve spent years creating recipes that prove that vegan food can be delicious and satisfying! So put aside any stereotypes you may have about vegan food being bland or tasteless – this stew recipe will definitely change your mind.
And here’s the best part: this dish is easy to make! Even if you’re not an expert in the kitchen, you can follow my step-by-step guide to creating a delicious and authentic Spanish-style veggie stew. So let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Indulge in the flavors of Spain with this mouth-watering Menestra de Verduras, a Spanish-style veggie stew that will make your taste buds dance with joy. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan chef or just starting out on your vegan journey, this dish is perfect for you.
One of the main reasons you’ll love this recipe is its versatility. You can customize the ingredients based on what you have in your pantry or what’s in season. From green peas and artichoke hearts to red bell peppers and mushrooms, this stew boasts an array of healthy vegetables that will provide all the nutrients you need.
The aromas from simmering garlic cloves, onions, and potatoes combined with a flavorful blend of dry sherry, cayenne, sweet paprika, bay leaves, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper will fill your kitchen with an irresistible fragrance that will make anyone drool. The use of halved thinly sliced black olives adds just the right amount of tanginess to balance the sweet and spicy notes to create a fulfilling soup that is nothing short of divine.
What’s more, this dish cooks without borders as it can be enjoyed any time of year and by anyone from any culture around the world. Whether it’s for a laid-back family dinner or an elegant meal to impress guests at a dinner party, this Spanish vegetable stew will certainly be an excellent addition to your menu.
So why limit yourself when you can enjoy all that this vegan Menestra de Verduras has to offer? It’s time to dust off those cooking pots and get ready to satisfy your cravings for sumptuous flavors with every spoonful. Give yourself the chance to experience the best Spanish soup recipes around while nourishing your body with healthy ingredients that are good for you.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this hearty and flavorful Menestra de Verduras or Spanish Style Veggie Stew. Don’t worry about finding exotic ingredients, you’ll see that everything can be found in a regular grocery store.
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup of green peas, fresh or frozen
- 6 oz. of artichoke hearts, drained and halved thinly
- 8 oz. of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- A pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 2 tsp. of sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup of dry sherry or white wine
- 2 cups of hot water
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Black olives, sliced
Choosing fresh and high quality vegetables will definitely make a difference in flavor, so choose wisely!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you’ve got all the ingredients ready, let’s get cooking! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious Menestra!
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add thickly sliced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they turn tender.
- Add minced garlic cloves, thinly sliced potatoes and carrots.
- Add one cup of hot water, cook for 10 min.
- Add a tsp of sweet paprika and half tbsp of dry sherry wine.
- Stir well and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, one cup of green peas, and mushrooms (halved thinly).
- Stir well and add bay leaves.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Now that your stew is almost ready, add artichoke hearts, thinly sliced red bell pepper, and black olives.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Then sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley over the top.
Looks yummy! Don’t forget to serve hot with bread or rice!
I hope my instructions were easy to follow! Enjoy this delicious Menestra Spanish Style Veggie Stew.
Substitutions and Variations
As with any recipe, there are a variety of substitutions and variations you can make to tweak this Spanish-style veggie stew to your taste or dietary restrictions. Here are a few suggestions:
– For a heartier stew, swap out some of the veggies for beans, chickpeas, or lentils. A vegan lentil stew is always satisfying.
– If you’re not a fan of artichokes, try substituting them with additional mushrooms or another type of vegetable, like zucchini or butternut squash.
– If you prefer a spicier dish, increase the amount of cayenne pepper or add some red pepper flakes to the mix.
– For those who don’t drink alcohol, you can replace the sherry wine in the recipe with an equal amount of vegetable broth.
– While this recipe calls for potato and carrots as the main base, any root vegetable will work nicely in this flavorful Spanish vegetable stew. Try adding parsnips or sweet potatoes for extra sweetness and complexity.
The best part about this dish is that it cooks without borders and lends itself well to all types of variations. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different vegetables and spices!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing Menestra, I like to keep things simple. This vegetable stew is a hearty and flavorful dish that needs little accompaniment. Some crusty bread, both for dipping and wiping the bowl clean, is essential in my opinion.
For a balanced and colorful meal, try serving Menestra with a simple side salad of mixed greens and cherry tomatoes dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. The zesty acidity of the dressing will complement the richness of the stew perfectly.
If you’re looking to add some protein to your meal, Menestra pairs well with grilled or roasted vegetables and seitan. Top it off with some fresh parsley or black olives for a pop of color and flavor.
In terms of beverages, I recommend a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Albariño to cut through the richness of the stew. Alternatively, a cold beer like a crisp pilsner or refreshing hefeweizen would also make an excellent pairing.
As always, be sure to enjoy this delicious Spanish-style veggie stew with good company and plenty of conversation.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a busy vegan chef, I know how valuable prepping ahead of time can be. Believe me when I say that this Spanish Style Veggie Stew, or Menestra, is the perfect make-ahead dish for weeknights. It can last up to four days in the refrigerator or even delish after freezing.
To store this stew, let it cool to room temperature first before transferring it to an airtight container or several smaller containers. If you plan to freeze it, wait until it reaches freezing temperatures before placing it in the freezer.
Reheating this stew is easy as one-two-three. Just scoop out the amount you need and warm it over low-medium heat on the stove, adding some hot water if needed. Alternatively, you can microwave it for even easier reheating.
This Spanish-style vegetable stew is such a versatile recipe that you won’t regret making extra during your meal prep. Having a portion or two of this in your fridge or freezer means that you’d always have a delicious and hearty dinner on standby – perfect for busy evenings or unexpected guests.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best results possible with this Spanish style vegetable stew, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind as you cook.
Firstly, be sure to use the best quality ingredients you can find. Fresh vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and bell peppers will give your dish the most vibrant flavors and textures. Look for ripe and juicy tomatoes and artichoke hearts that are packed in water instead of oil.
When it comes to seasoning, be mindful of the salt you use. Sea salt is a great option as it adds a naturally sweet and delicate flavor while not overpowering the taste of the other ingredients. Use only enough salt to enhance the natural flavors of the vegetables.
In addition to salt, play around with spices like cayenne pepper and sweet paprika. These spices lend a unique smoky flavor to your dish which is especially delicious when paired with a dry sherry wine.
Another tip is to cook the stew low and slow. Allow it to simmer gently for around two hours on low heat. This will ensure that all the flavors meld together perfectly resulting in a rich and delicious broth.
For added depth of flavor, consider sautéing some garlic and onions before adding them to the broth. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some black olives or green peas towards the end of your cooking time for extra texture and color.
Lastly, don’t forget to add a generous amount of fresh parsley before serving! This herb adds a pop of freshness to each spoonful of soup making it an essential ingredient for any perfect menestra recipe.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a hearty and delicious vegan stew recipe that’s packed with flavor, you can’t go wrong with Menestra de Verduras. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or just trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this Spanish-style veggie stew is sure to impress.
With its unique blend of ingredients like artichoke hearts, black olives, and sherry wine, Menestra de Verduras stands out from other vegetable stews and soup recipes. Plus, it’s easy to customize to your preferences and dietary needs.
So why not give this recipe a try for your next family dinner or hosting event? With its warm and inviting flavors, it’s sure to become a favorite in no time. And the best part? You can impress your guests without having to spend hours in the kitchen. Cheers to delicious and healthy eating!
Menestra (Spanish Style Veggie Stew) (Vegan Too..!) Recipe
- 2 onions, halved and then thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into half circles
- 1 large potato, diced (peel or not, your choice)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb mushroom (halved or quartered)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 artichoke hearts (roughly a 14 oz can, cut into halves...save the liquid)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- black olives, sliced (optional as garnish)
- fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional as garnish)
- In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the carrots, followed by the potato, the paprika, bay leaves and cayenne. Saute for a few minutes watching it doesn't stick or start to burn.
- All together you want 2 cups of liquid - use up the liquid from the tinned artichokes then top up with water to get 2 cups. Pour in the water, sherry and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- After a few minutes add in the mushrooms and bell pepper and let those simmer with everything for a few more minutes.
- Once the veggies are just tender, stir in the artichokes and peas. Simmer about 5 more minutes and adjust salt to your taste, turn the pepper grinder over the pot a few times and it's done. I like to let this simmer on a little longer so that the flavours really blend together. Serve topped with olives and parsley if you choose, and maybe some crusty bread on the side.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Jolo is a talented chef and food blogger with a passion for vegan and Caribbean flavors. From savory vegetarian dishes to tropical smoothies, Jolo’s Kitchen has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for meat-free meals or creative Caribbean recipes, Jolo’s Kitchen is the perfect place for you.